PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Something new... to me

ihatetryingtopickaloginna
October 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I stuck a cd in the player and while it was mounting, created a new folder on the desktop. I forgot to name the folder, so brought up the menu to rename it and when I started typing, the cd folder opened up on the screen and I was typing in a small rectangular box. I thought it was still letting me rename the folder so typed it in. But it didn't rename the folder. Now I see that anytime I have a folder open and start typing, up comes this small box to type in but nothing ever happens after it closes. What is this feature and what have I been missing for the past couple of years?

Thanks,

collinge
October 13th, 2008, 07:45 PM
i am pretty sure that is the folder search... it is pretty helpful when typing in a folder name..

73ckn797
October 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Maybe you could change your login name to something more brief like nologiname. GRIN!!

October 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I wanted ihatetryingtopickaloginname but the system shortened it for me by two letters. I thought that was pretty brief :-) I wish forum software would just assign a login name when signing up, so I wouldn't have to keep trying and trying. Like user1, user 15, user1234545.

October 13th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah it is when you type in a name and a password twice and then have to keep doing this 20 more times until you finally get one that is accepted. I have just picked something and then started adding numbers to the end of it until the box is filled. Tried this one on here and it worked the first time. Guess no one else has that problem?