PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver for Linux

optimusmedia
October 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I just spent some time talking with a couple of very sympathetic reps in the sales and customer support departments of Adobe.

I explained Dreamweaver and their web suite of products are last reason I remain tied to Windows. I have Dreamweaver 8 (and have it working nearly perfectly in WINE) and I am not opposed to paying for their software. But I really want/need a Linux version.

The sales rep said, "really, unless we heard from hundreds of people daily, we're not likely to spend the resources." I said, "do you really want that?" Both departments gave an emphatic, "yes."

Here's the link to the web form:
http://www.adobe.com/bin/webfeedback.cgi

Here's the sales toll free number:
800-585-0774 Monday to Friday 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM (Pacific time)
Saturday 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Pacific time)

Needless to say, be polite when you write or call.

Statistically, these companies know each caller represents 18 other people who feel the same way. So your voice does make a large difference!

Thanks!

Ron

anewguy
October 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'll be the first to admit I've never used Dreamweaver though I have friends who do. For Linux, I use Quanta Plus - you can do all the CSS stuff, simple things like mouse over, mouse out and all those types of things, a regular editor for use with html and derivatives, etc.. If you haven't looked at it yet you may want to take a peak and see if it will suffice for you (not saying it will, but worth a look).

Dave :)

posburn
October 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Done and done - submitted a few polite comments requesting native Linux products from Adobe. Here's hoping it'll make a difference!

optimusmedia
October 13th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'll be the first to admit I've never used Dreamweaver though I have friends who do. For Linux, I use Quanta Plus - you can do all the CSS stuff, simple things like mouse over, mouse out and all those types of things, a regular editor for use with html and derivatives, etc.. If you haven't looked at it yet you may want to take a peak and see if it will suffice for you (not saying it will, but worth a look).

Dave, Quanta Plus is good, and has some great features, but it's still not the same animal.

Obviously, I don't want really get into all that here. Nor do I want to get into reasons why xyz is better or why WSIWYG is for lamers, etc. :) I'd like to keep this thread limited to those of us who love Linux and love Dreamweaver. I know first hand the number is growing daily.

But thanks for the suggestion Dave! I do appreciate it. It's because of this forum and it's users that Ubuntu is great!

Twitch6000
October 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Well Dreamweaver I myself don't need as I have tools that meet my need for them.

However DreamWeaver is good for noob Web Makers and I do think we need that on Linux as it is a great tool for someone like my mother.

So really it just depends on the person.

Ms_Angel_D
October 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Done, and BTW whether you use the product or not, it is productive to vote for linux versions of ANY software as this only helps better the community and growth of Linxu/Ubuntu in general.

hessiess
October 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
vim is more than enough for me thanks;)

lswest
October 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I have posted a comment, and I tried to get them to see that porting the system from Mac to Linux is actually less work than they might think... (in a polite way of course) and also expressed my willingness to pay for the product if it became available for linux. Hopefully if enough of us do this they'll finally do SOMETHING about it.

Northsider
October 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Yes!! This is a huge reason I still have windows.

Ms_Angel_D
October 13th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Yes!! This is a huge reason I still have windows.

I'm not saying don't vote by all means do, but as a temporary solution you could try Dreamweaver in wine, I have it working great on my system.

david_lynch
October 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I signed the form - I usually use vi to create websites but I would be happy to pull out the wallet and pay for a native linux dreamweaver.

david_lynch
October 13th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I'm not saying don't vote by all means do, but as a temporary solution you could try Dreamweaver in wine, I have it working great on my system. Yes that's worth a shot, and could come in handy in a pinch. However, as I told adobe, I'd never pay for such a setup as it's stricly for test purposes, but I would gladly pay for a native linux edition of the software.

master5o1
October 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
My all-purpose environment:

Gedit (syntax highlighting)

For all (X)HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, ...

Also, with an embedded terminal I can also:

Gedit+Octave -> MatLab equivilant that I used to write my MatLab project in year 1 engineering at Auckland University this year. :D
Gedit+GCC -> C project at UoA this year :D

[Interestingly, I used the embedded terminal for MatLab and just gnome-terminal (external) for C. Hmph.]

eragon100
October 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I don't use it, ever, or any other money-costing adobe products, but I still filled out the form (and no, did not mention I wouldn't use it, offcourse.)

anewguy
October 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Dave, Quanta Plus is good, and has some great features, but it's still not the same animal.

Obviously, I don't want really get into all that here. Nor do I want to get into reasons why xyz is better or why WSIWYG is for lamers, etc. :) I'd like to keep this thread limited to those of us who love Linux and love Dreamweaver. I know first hand the number is growing daily.

But thanks for the suggestion Dave! I do appreciate it. It's because of this forum and it's users that Ubuntu is great!

I'll be watching the thread as I'd like to see a good outcome for this as well!

Thanks for the consideration - didn't know if it would fit or not.

Best of luck on this!