PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on a DIY Bluetooth project

PlutoniumBoss
October 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'm not really experienced in DIY, so I figured the best place to come for advice that's got technical experience behind it but also understands that I'm still picking up the ropes is the good old Ubuntu Forums. (You guys rock.)

I have a specific use that I want to modify a product for, that shouldn't take any actual hardware modifications. There are 3.5mm Bluetooth dongles available that are designed to work with a proprietary partnered Bluetooth set of headphones so that you can listen wirelessly to anything with a 3.5mm audio jack.

What I want to do (basically) is use one of these as a receiver instead of primarily a transmitter, and partner it with my computer. The Bluetooth enabled laptop I intend to use is running *gasp!* Vista. (I've got a usb security dongle that Ubuntu doesn't like. I've tried to install it on my Ubuntu box, but anyway, that's irrelevant to the current mission parameters. Moving on.)

The intended purpose of this little fix is to give me a device I can plug into my V-Bot's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--hBuAZAnUs) 3.5mm input port, in order to remotely play audio from my computer over it's speakers.

What little I know about the subject suggests that a feasible solution would be to somehow hack the firmware on the device. I wouldn't be too worried about losing the fancy Bluetooth profile that lets an audio headset's volume and track control or voice chat functions communicate back and forth with the dongle, I just want it to receive audio from the computer and output it to the 3.5 input on my speaker device.

And here's where I could use some advice about how to begin. Any thoughts?

PlutoniumBoss
October 14th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Perhaps someone here can point the way to a more specific forum or place to get more information? I'm willing to learn.

PlutoniumBoss
October 14th, 2008, 04:16 AM
After some research, I'm looking for similar functionality to the Sony Ericsson MBR-100, but not at such a price. Maybe DIY isn't necessary after all?

S0VERE1GN
October 14th, 2008, 04:21 AM
you could try to possibly go onto a general hardware/firmware modding site and figure it out from there. that's how i got my PSP running custom firmware with a boot from a mem stick. :guitar:

sounds to me like your gameplan should be something along the lines of finding firmware from the same company for a bluetooth transmitter and crack the thing. You'll probably need to buy a special peripheral to connect the thing to your computer to upload it though.

prolly easier to do the other thing you mentioned before.

possibly steal a friend's phone he doesn't use anymore with bluetooth compatibility! that may be easier to work with.