PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install stops, restarts into Windows

soong
October 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Okay, I'm fairly new to ubuntu and Linux in general, and this is my first time actually posting on these forums. I'm posting because this is the first time I haven't been able to find someone else with the same problem that I have.
I'm trying to install ubuntu 8.04 on my brand new HP Pavilion tx2000. I already made a partition for it, and it's currently running Vista 64 bit, just as my desktop is, which I built myself, which now has XP, Vista, and Ubuntu, and they all work fine (well, except there's no wireless drivers for my card for 64 bit OS.... sigh...)
Anyway, when I try to install ubuntu on the laptop, it loads up, asks me for my language, then I tell it to install. It loads all the stuff, then tells me to take out the disk and hit enter. The laptop shuts off, doesn't restart. I hit the power key, and then it boots into Windows, never pausing to ask me anything. I've tried multiple copies of the install disk, burned a 8x, 4x, 2x, and then 1x. Same problem every time. Is there maybe something in HP's setup that makes it ignore changes to the boot info?
Someone recommended I try EasyBCD, but I have no idea how to configure it so it boots ubuntu, much less how to make it continue the installation process.

gali98
October 13th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Wow! Sorry you had t go through that. Your symptoms sound like you actually have a tx2500 series (the newer model)
All the info you need should be here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=873188&highlight=tx2%2A
Have Fun
Kory

soong
October 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM
You're right - I just noticed when you mentioned that, the screen says tx2000, but the bottom of the computer and my receipt says tx2500. Laziness on HP's part?

gali98
October 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure :) It is interesting though.
I'm just glad my laptop is named right...:P
Kory