PDA

View Full Version : ordering laptop, need ram help

blakjesus
October 13th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I have decided to order a laptop. After searching through reviews and such, i have finally decided on a computer. I however can't decide on a ram configuration. :)

They offer 2GB and 3GB at the same price. I have never really done anything that required more than 2GB of ram so i could be happy with it, but it is appealing to have a little extra for free. But dual channel is not supported on the 3GB (due to 1 stick being 1GB and the other 2GB). So this is where im asking you guys for help.

Should i go for the dual channel 2GB ram or 3GB of ram :confused:

jespdj
October 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I think you won't really notice a big performance difference whether dual-channel mode is used or not. So I'd go with the 3 GB configuration.

mips
October 13th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Just get 2x2GB sticks. Windows will only see 3GB though. Price difference should not be much.

I-75
October 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM
2 GB and 3 GB for the same price? Get the 3 GB, then sell 1 GB of it on E-Bay.

blakjesus
October 13th, 2008, 06:16 PM
@mips
Sadly upgrading from 3GB to 4GB would cost me an extra $125, and i have already maxed out my budget with all of the other hardware that i added.

Windows will only see 3GB though.

Why would i ruin my computer by using windows ;)

@I-75
Yea i guess i could do that, i could use the extra money to buy a couple small gadgets for it. But i probably wouldn't. :popcorn:

simtaalo
October 13th, 2008, 06:21 PM
i always think with laptops its worth spending as much as you can afford, no point in skimping.

if its same price for more ram why would you even think about getting less?

blakjesus
October 13th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well i was just seeing if i would be really missing out without dual channel ram. But im definately going with the 3GB now :guitar:

OffHand
October 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM
@mips
Sadly upgrading from 3GB to 4GB would cost me an extra $125, and i have already maxed out my budget with all of the other hardware that i added.

4GB kit for my Dell XPS M1530 on www.crucial.com $67 :guitar:

hessiess
October 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM
go for 3 gig if its the same price, though in Linux you are unlickly to actualy use it, unless of corce you are into 3D, video editing etc