PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best processor to upgrade to??

swoody
October 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I have a Compaq C500 laptop, and I'm wanting to upgrade the processor to a better one. I currently have the Intel Celeron M 430 @ 1.73 Ghz that my computer came with. It is a single core processor, and you can find more info on it here:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9KV

I'm wondering if there would be any problems going to a Pentium, or a dual core processor, any reason why the motherboard wouldn't work with one, or anything like that. Basically I want to know what would be the best processor that I can swap in for this one with no hassles at all.

Also, I was wondering if you had to change anything in Ubuntu to be able to take full advantage of the new processor, or if it just picks up on it automagically. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance :)

Woody

swoody
October 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Called up Compaq Tech Support today. I knew I was doomed when he said
"Whoa, you replaced your motherboard?? I've never heard of anyone doing that on a laptop!"
Yes, I replaced it with the same exact one, my old one was broken, so I replaced it with the same one.
"Wow!"
](*,)

I must be doing some weird kind of computer voodoo engineering when I can surprise Compaq :confused:

Anyways... what he said was basically, get the same socket type and I'd be fine, but since my computer is so "old" that it won't support dual core processors. It's too bad in the Service Manual I have it has 4 Core Duo processors listed for my computer ](*,) But I need to know if my particular motherboard can accept them.

So here's my plan unless someone can help me out; get the biggest baddest processor I can find for the same socket off eBay and plug it in. If it doesn't work I'll just resell it on eBay or try to get a refund :D

ChimpofDOOM
October 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
The C500 family is a Series of HP-Compaq laptops that have many-many models to accompany it, each with varying hardware specifications based upon the motherboard build. You really need to access the Product Specifications at HP-Compaq to obtain definitive answers about this one.

Some C500's are designed for Intel Dual Core, where others are economical and designed for Celerons.

However, just about all Intel motherboards are compatible to run serveral classes of CPU's. Meaning, if your laptop is equipped with a Celeron CPU, chances are you can upgrade to the Pentium class. It's recommended that you seek the maximum Front Side Bus (FSB) speed and cache size that your laptop motherboard CPU can handle. This information will be an excellent foundation when seeking a CPU upgrade.

Hope that helps.

swoody
October 14th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Chimp! Thanks for the information :) Would I have to call them to get the Product Specs, or is it available on their website?

This was taken from the Wikipedia page on Socket 479 CPU's:
"Currently, the only chipsets for the Pentium M are the Intel 855GM/GME/PM, Intel 915GM/GMS/PM and Intel 6300ESB. While the Intel 855GME chipset supports all Pentium M CPU's, the Intel 855GM chipset does not support 90nm 2MB L2 cache (Dothan core) models"

Would this mean I can't run the Pentium M unless I have one of those chipsets? How can I determine what chipset I have?

ChimpofDOOM
October 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
You would probably be better calling them just to make sure, or send them an e-mail.

Generally though, laptops, your generally better saving your cash and buying a better spec one, rather than splash out on parts.