PDA

View Full Version : Game Programmers wanted!

MasterNetra
October 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM
There is a open source project that needs developers for it! OpenSpore a open sourced alternative to well...Spore! I don't know about you but I like spore or at least the idea its trying to handle, but like many Linux users out there i don't want another reason to be tied down to windows. With that in mind I would like to send out this little request to those who know how to program in C, C++, and etc in the spirit of taping something with potential for Linux and Open Source stuff in general.

If you interested here is OpenSpore's Link in Sourceforge. [LINK] (https://sourceforge.net/projects/openspore/)

MasterNetra
October 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
*Bump*

aeiah
October 13th, 2008, 04:36 PM
there are a lot of clever procedural programming bits and pieces in spore. wouldnt everyone's time be best suited to either 1: getting it running flawlessly in wine (it runs pretty well as it is, save for 3D shaders) or 2: creating an original game.

Delever
October 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Let me finish multiplayer snake on OpenGL and SDL first. Finally it renders Unicode fonts right and fast. Yeah, got sidetracked, as always :D

jimi_hendrix
October 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
unless you could get an army of programmers on this it doesnt seem practicle if a team of professionals took years to make this

it would be nice though if it was open source

snova
October 13th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I don't know much about Spore, but looking at the Wikipedia article shows that it was a gigantic game. Somebody else said that it took a team of paid, experienced, professionals years to write this game.

Open source has produced some fantastic programs on nothing but volunteer time, but games are among the hardest things to write. jimi_hendrix put it well- an "army" is probably what it would take.

Fortunately, if Spore is as popular as it sounds, they shouldn't have much trouble finding people that want to write a better implementation. The problem is finding enough.

So this sounds like a gigantic waste of time to me. It's too big of a project, too hard of a project, and anyway, where's the fun in writing a clone of another game?

Now, if they could add something original... That'd be different. Once they get to the point where it's close enough to the original where they can start thinking about new ideas, there'd be some worth in it, but how long would that take?

Sorry to be the voice of reason, but I don't think this is feasible. On the other hand, you can bookmark this post to make fun of me when they "finish" it. :)

nowin4me
October 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't mind testing it.

Changturkey
October 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Good luck, you'll need an army. I'll be happy to test.

MaxIBoy
October 13th, 2008, 09:10 PM
getting it running flawlessly in wine (it runs pretty well as it is, save for 3D shaders)

How do you think they ported it to OS X? By putting Wine for Darwin in the installer.

MasterNetra
October 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm not in charge of the project or anything I just would like to see this get the attention it needs. Also as i figure it, it doesn't need to be a clone i mean it be cool to base it off of spore as a start to save a lot of time but it could be tweaked into something better then spore.

MasterNetra
October 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM
*Soft Bump*