PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get ubuntu to boot

roger-kun
October 13th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I'm new to ubuntu, and for that matter Linux too, so if it's a common mistake please don't yell at me, but I can't figure it out. I've looked every where but I find anything that helps. I've tried dual booting with vista(until I get everything working, then I'm getting rid of it), and when I couldn't get that to work I just wiped the drive and tried again, but my computer just tried to boot to vista.

System:
Windows Vista SP1
Core 2 Duo
ATI Radeon x1650pro
2GB RAM
120GB IDE
250GB IDE
750GB SATA

upchucky
October 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM
you gonna need to post info about the drive look here at other boot posts, the key words are grub, dual boot, mbr, menu.lst, and partitioning.

there are thousands of posts but everyones drives are different, once you identify and post the drive geometry, someone will have step by step instructions to getting it working. It helps greatly to read the other posts so u understand the what and why of getting help. usually by the time someone posts some help, you have the answer or are very close to it just by reading.

caljohnsmith
October 13th, 2008, 02:16 PM
If you want help booting Ubuntu, please give us details about your problem; is it a Grub problem (Grub error on start up)? Or can you select Ubuntu from the Grub menu to boot it, but then Ubuntu doesn't properly boot? What errors do you get?