PDA

View Full Version : Learning Ubuntu - Best Practices

SirReel
October 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Hello!
I was just looking to hear the opinions of the experts on what steps you used when you first began the journey of learning Ubuntu and Linux in general?

I am finding that hands-on experience along with reading the advice of the experts in this forum as well as reading a book on Ubuntu Linux is a good first step.

I was wondering what those of you who walked this path before would recommend in terms of best practices for becoming an expert in Linux and Ubuntu?

A little about my goals - I would truly like to not only learn Ubuntu, but also master Linux at the command line level.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for helping us new guys out! :)

Jackelope
October 13th, 2008, 03:35 AM
try installing conky....i'm no expert but it taught me a lot :)

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Greetings, and welcome to Ubuntu and its Forums. :)
I would say, the first most important point would be to not fear the Operating System. Just because it is different doesn't mean you can't explore it and discover how it operates, where things are stored, how things work, etc.

Second off, the command line is your friend. It's easy to use, and very, very powerful. The most useful asset to your entire system. It may seem daunting at first, but with time, you will learn to love it as your best friend.

Keeping these things in mind, don't be afraid to ask questions. We all have doubts and questions at times, and yours will be no different. If you have a specific general question or serious issue that has occured, we are here to help you the best we can, to ensure you get your questions answered, problems resolved, and have an overall fun experience.

Most off all, don't be afraid to try new things. That is the joy of Linux :)

Have fun, and good luck!

Dr Small

keplerspeed
October 13th, 2008, 04:26 AM
SirReel,

Experiment. just play, try to install software, try to compile programs, and use the command line! with the terminal you will understand what you are doing, instead of just clicking!

For example, try to install XEphem. This is a astronomical program, requires compiling, moving file around etc. If you dont know how to do something, do a google seach first, and you may either find more info, a tutorial, or even a similar post. Then ask a question here. Google is also your friend.

OutOfReach
October 13th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Hello!
I was just looking to hear the opinions of the experts on what steps you used when you first began the journey of learning Ubuntu and Linux in general?

I am finding that hands-on experience along with reading the advice of the experts in this forum as well as reading a book on Ubuntu Linux is a good first step.

I was wondering what those of you who walked this path before would recommend in terms of best practices for becoming an expert in Linux and Ubuntu?

A little about my goals - I would truly like to not only learn Ubuntu, but also master Linux at the command line level.

Your insights would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for helping us new guys out! :)

Just explore your new enviroment, get familiary with things. Go deeper into different subjects.
And don't be afraid of the command line, try doing ordinary things that you would normally do with a GUI, with the command line.

SteveNorman
October 13th, 2008, 04:38 AM
even though its gentoo and not ubuntu,,I found reading their manuals where a great intro to how linux runs/how it boots/ how it is configured etc.

I also had good success with this tutorial:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

nhasian
October 13th, 2008, 05:03 AM
i'm just learning as i go as well. usually find the answer just by searching these forums. also i highly recommend the free ebook Ubuntu Unleashed 2008

http://ubuntu-8-1.blogspot.com/2008/08/free-download-ebook-ubuntu-unleashed.html

its very informative!

bpalone
October 13th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I am no expert, but as everyone has said, experiment and use the system. If you have access to a good book store (can order online, but I like to look a book over before I buy it) pick yourself up a book or two on Linux. Here are a couple that I have "Linux Complete, ISBN 0-7821-4036-X, $19.99 (U.S.)" it is more towards Red Hat and is a bit dated, but is still good for reference. "Running Linux, ISBN-10: 0-596-00760-4, ISBN-13: 978-0-596-00760-7, $49.95 (U.S.)" it is distribution neutral.

I find it nice to just sit and read sometimes, rather than setting in front of the computer all the time. Plus, it is sometimes easier to review info in a book, rather than on a website (having to switch back and forth).

Most of all, enjoy the journey.

RequinB4
October 13th, 2008, 05:11 AM
This is how most people (I beleive) learn gnu/linux, and how I learned ubuntu:

Step 1: Think of something you want to do with your computer. Maybe a cool program, maybe you're browsing the web and found a cool configuration of compiz, maybe you want to see if you can make a terminal as a background, maybe only use text programs, maybe you want to write a shell script that automates something you do regularly...

Step 2: Google it and see if you can get some guidance.

Step 3: do it. When you hit a snag, go to step 2.

Step 4: Go back to step 1

hey_ram
October 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Try to experiment as much as you can with the system..
there is no better way to learn about a system than to break it and then rebuild it..
one way to learn about linux is to try and install programs from the command line. also, do go through this forum as much as you possibly can...
there are so many threads that i started reading and just learnt so much from..
in particular: try the thread by K.Mandla (i think that is the user name) on "Ubuntu tutorial of the week". Its a wonderful thread on various aspects of the system, written for newbies who want to know about the system from the ground up. Here is the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=655207

Also, try this thread out:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=382137&highlight=LaTeX&page=102

It has people posting on what applications they think are cool. the entry criteria was that the application should not be popular (like skype etc).
the range of apps that ubuntu offers you is mind-boggling. try reading through it( at 125 pages long, it has to be the longest thread ever in the history of this forum I think) but it taught me a lot of things about my system.

Keep Exploring!!

kpkeerthi
October 13th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Hello!

First, I read the desktop guide at http://help.ubuntu.com
Then, to fill the gaps in my knowledge, bought the following books and read them cover to cover:

1. A Practical Guide to Linux: Mark Sobell
2. How linux works, what every super user should know: Brian Ward

Then started asking questions in the forums and eventually started helping them.

Once I gained good linux skills, explored the links in my signature.

Other books I suggest,
1. Learning the BASH Shell: Cameron Newham & Classic Shell Scripting: Arnold Robbins
2. Learning Python: Mark Lutz
3. Python for Unix and Linux System Administration: Noah Gift

Yeah... Buy books for a systematic learning experience.

wxjeacen
October 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I am a new gay in ubuntu as well.
I have learned a lot.

cariboo
October 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I paid for my first linux distribution, Red Hat 5.2 it came in a nice box with 2 cd's, a manual and a couple of stickers. I also bought one of the excellent O'Rielly manuals, I can't remember it's name, it's out in my shop, but it had an owl on the cover. That got me started, but what really made me learn was instaling and screwing it up and then unscrewing it. Back then I was on dial-up, so it wasn't as easy as it is now, just look something up on Google and you got a solution in a couple of minutes.

Come to think of it I started out as a computer tech in the late 80's and the only way we got any info was through
training classes, magazines and purchasing very large books. I've got about sixteen feet oif shelving full of obsolete manuals out in my shop. :)

Jim

alwez_loner_TZ
October 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Hello,

I'm also new to Ubuntu and it took me a while to get the hang of it. When i was installing i meet with a lot of problems i just googled it and read. By the time i managed to work with ubuntu my friend who is a linux geek was very impressed with my knowledge.

Just play around with it, think of programs you used in windows and just try them in ubuntu and when you get stuck.... ASK....