PDA

View Full Version : When do you use your mouse?

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 01:56 AM
With dwm, Vimperator, the CLI, and some useful tools like the Clex file manager, I hardly ever use my computer mouse. Here's when I need it:

* Playing mahjongg or chess
* Browsing on sites that are hard to navigate with the keyboard, such as Google Maps and Docs
* Editing images with the GIMP or Picasa

How about you?

paul101
October 13th, 2008, 02:01 AM
i tend to use my laptop touchpad as little as possable

just like i can press tab twice then hit enter to post this :razz:

L815
October 13th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I use the mouse a decent amount. A mouse plus keyboard shortcuts can't be beat :)

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I use the mouse a decent amount. A mouse plus keyboard shortcuts can't be beat :)
I always find it difficult to switch back and forth between the mouse and keyboard shortcuts. That's why Vimperator is more useful for me than Firefox + Ubiquity.

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 02:21 AM
+1
I try to use the keyboard as much as possible, and assign different keyboard shortcuts to preform different tasks that I find I need.

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 02:25 AM
+1
I try to use the keyboard as much as possible, and assign different keyboard shortcuts to preform different tasks that I find I need.
Vimperator has finally won me over. I never realized the full potential of hints during my initial trial.

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 02:47 AM
Does anyone have any idea how to completely be mouse free (inside Xorg) ? Like, disable the mouse and not have the pointer on the screen?

hessiess
October 13th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I try to use the mouse as little as passable, it gives me handake.

schauerlich
October 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I use wmii. I basically only use the mouse when I'm in Opera. OS X takes a little more mousing, but with quicksilver it's minimized.

Hyper Tails
October 13th, 2008, 02:52 AM
i use it for everything

peroid

schauerlich
October 13th, 2008, 02:53 AM
i use it for everything

peroid

Even typing?

yabbadabbadont
October 13th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Even typing?

On-screen keyboard anyone? ;)

Perhaps they are paralyzed?

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 03:01 AM
i use it for everything

peroid
Wow. That's got to be hard. I would hate to try to copy and paste letters (with the mouse) into the Quick Reply box. That would take forever...

chucky chuckaluck
October 13th, 2008, 03:06 AM
i use mine too much. i've got some nerve issues going on and i'm sure execessive mouse use is contributing to the problem. i've been trying to use the console more in an effort to force myself not to use the mouse.

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
i use mine too much. i've got some nerve issues going on and i'm sure execessive mouse use is contributing to the problem. i've been trying to use the console more in an effort to force myself not to use the mouse.
If you aren't using Vimperator yet, you might want to start. I can handle 95% of my browsing w/out touching the mouse.

northrup
October 13th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I don't like having to constantly move between the keyboard and mouse. It bugs me. I like the keyboards with the integrated mouse so it's not so awkward trying to reach from keyboard to mouse and back for everyday use.

I was raised on DOS so I tend to use the command line for most of my tasks. Thus, I'm doing my best to learn the magical art of the Linux terminal. Sure, since most programs are windowed there are limits to relying on a command prompt (I'll probably always call the terminal a command prompt out of habit...) but at least I can do most things. Thus, I try to steer away from using the mouse since the keyboard can do much more. I probably just need a tablet PC with an on-screen keyboard :)

yabbadabbadont
If you aren't using Vimperator yet, you might want to start. I can handle 95% of my browsing w/out touching the mouse.

But... but... you have to keep at least one hand free...

:twisted:

chucky chuckaluck

good idea, but i don't know vim and i don't use firefox. opera's pretty good with a keyboard, but i'm pretty much stuck with having to force myself not to use the mouse (no discipline).

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 03:26 AM
good idea, but i don't know vim and i don't use firefox. opera's pretty good with a keyboard, but i'm pretty much stuck with having to force myself not to use the mouse (no discipline).
Oh, vim is easy to learn, and the commands make sense, so there is no harm there.

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I don't like having to constantly move between the keyboard and mouse. It bugs me. I like the keyboards with the integrated mouse so it's not so awkward trying to reach from keyboard to mouse and back for everyday use.

I was raised on DOS so I tend to use the command line for most of my tasks. Thus, I'm doing my best to learn the magical art of the Linux terminal. Sure, since most programs are windowed there are limits to relying on a command prompt (I'll probably always call the terminal a command prompt out of habit...) but at least I can do most things. Thus, I try to steer away from using the mouse since the keyboard can do much more. I probably just need a tablet PC with an on-screen keyboard :)
A tiling window manager removes the need for a mouse when handling your windows.

Vimperator doesn't require knowledge of vim. It has some very good documentation, and it's easy to learn.

I much prefer Opera to Firefox out-of-the-box, but I found it fairly lacking in terms of keyboard control. Sure, I can <Ctrl+t><g><*> to search for something, but it's murderously difficult to open links and actually browse through a page with the keyboard.

Anyway, you could always give Vimperator a shot. You never know when you'll discover something useful :)

chucky chuckaluck
October 13th, 2008, 03:38 AM
i've given vim and vimperator several tries and didn't like either one of them. my real wear and tear with a mouse tends to come more with card games and gimp, though. the stuff i do with gimp is not something i can use my left hand for.

L815
October 13th, 2008, 03:41 AM
To each their own. Personally I can't stand being all keyboard. Boredom sets easily, and keeping myself entertained requires a combination of both.

A mouse was created for a purpose, and for that purpose I use it!

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 03:44 AM
i've given vim and vimperator several tries and didn't like either one of them.

Vim has a steep learning curve (so they say) but I adapted fairly fast to it. In order to use Vimperator efficiently, one must understand the keybinds of Vim. One must have perseverance and a desire to learn vim, otherwise they give up too easily.

But if you can't handle it, that's alright, I guess.

cardinals_fan
October 13th, 2008, 03:45 AM
i've given vim and vimperator several tries and didn't like either one of them. my real wear and tear with a mouse tends to come more with card games and gimp, though. the stuff i do with gimp is not something i can use my left hand for.
My worst mouse usage comes from mahjongg and chess. I don't suppose you know of any CLI chess interfaces... :)

Kingsley
October 13th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I'm a big fan of mouse gestures within my web browser.

zxscooby
October 13th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I find using the mouse is easier than cycling through everything with the tab button.
I just move my thumb down from the keyboard and put the cursor where i want it.

richg
October 13th, 2008, 04:13 AM
When I want to move the pointer.

Rich

davidclifford
October 13th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I used it oftenly. I know some short cut keys, but I think using mouse is faster.

Whiffle
October 13th, 2008, 04:36 AM
A tiling window manager removes the need for a mouse when handling your windows.

Vimperator doesn't require knowledge of vim. It has some very good documentation, and it's easy to learn.

I much prefer Opera to Firefox out-of-the-box, but I found it fairly lacking in terms of keyboard control. Sure, I can <Ctrl+t><g><*> to search for something, but it's murderously difficult to open links and actually browse through a page with the keyboard.

Anyway, you could always give Vimperator a shot. You never know when you'll discover something useful :)

I'm trying this out right now, i likes it:

http://my.opera.com/Blazeix/blog/2008/07/04/vimperator-for-opera#download

Only thing I keep running into is search boxes catching all the characters.

smartboyathome
October 13th, 2008, 04:50 AM
I use the mouse as much as possible, I find it easier because I am lazy and don't like to pick up my hand (I use a touchpad). I can do everything except type with one finger. :D

richg
October 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I use the Logitech Marble Mouse. Never, ever have to move the mouse around.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/richg1998/Computers/img_1083.jpg

Oh, I do not have much room. The keyboard under the EEE 4G PC is a rubber covered keyboard. Very quiet and can be rolled up for easy transportation.
Mess to the max and I know where everything is. It is on the desktop. :)

Rich

nowin4me
October 13th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Oh, I do not have much room. The keyboard under the EEE 4G PC is a rubber covered keyboard. Very quiet and can be rolled up for easy transportation.
Mess to the max and I know where everything is. It is on the desktop. :)

Rich

Looks like you need to tidy up a little bit... Not that my desk isn't a mess...

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM
My worst mouse usage comes from mahjongg and chess. I don't suppose you know of any CLI chess interfaces... :)
This is the only thing I was able to come up with, and it's for Windows.
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cpp/cpp_microchess.aspx

lukjad
October 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I am gradually phasing out my mouse. I used to use it constantly, but lately have found the keyboard much more useful. I use it for some games, and when it takes me 40 tabs to get to a link, I use the mouse. The rest of the time, I use the keyboard.

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I am gradually phasing out my mouse. I used to use it constantly, but lately have found the keyboard much more useful. I use it for some games, and when it takes me 40 tabs to get to a link, I use the mouse. The rest of the time, I use the keyboard.
That's what hints are used for in Vimperator.

I see a link I want to go to. I press 'f' and it highlights the links in my view with yellow, and adds a number beside it. I then press the number of the link, and it opens it. It is very simple.

hessiess
October 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM
That's what hints are used for in Vimperator.

I see a link I want to go to. I press 'f' and it highlights the links in my view with yellow, and adds a number beside it. I then press the number of the link, and it opens it. It is very simple.

vimperator is great, except it seems to use rather a lot of ram:(

mister_pink
October 13th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Amen. These things are great.

Personally I find it easier to use my mouse for everything except typing, so this doesn't really result in swapping very often at all. I don't understand using a keyboard to browse the internet as mostly you're just navigating around (yes, I am typing now, but I spend far more time moving about than posting). I guess it would be useful to learn if you had a laptop as I can't stand touchpads.

lukjad
October 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I use it for moving from tab to tab and up and down the page, creating new tabs, etc.

urukrama
October 13th, 2008, 09:22 PM

GNUchess (http://www.gnu.org/software/chess/chess.html)?

Here is a screenshot I found online.

scragar
October 13th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I tend to use the mouse VERY rarely, it's only when I'm eating with one hand or something similar that I ever use the mouse, and that's only because it becomes easier to do things with 1 hand by the mouse than with some keyboard shortcuts(like my own custom ctrl+left meta+L to open lynx(in a new terminal, obviously), I don't think my fingers reach that far), 95% of the time though I'm keyboard only, I use ftp from the command line, and I've short cutted anything I need the mouse for normaly, although I must admit I can't get used to gnomeDo

jimi_hendrix
October 14th, 2008, 12:05 AM
windows = use mouse because cmd is too far away and i hate putting .exe after everything

linux = only for interfacing with apps if im in wmii or for doing some gnome things

Hyper Tails
October 14th, 2008, 02:03 AM
On-screen keyboard anyone

i don't use an on screen keyboard
and i'm not parized

kk0sse54
October 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Since I've switched to Awesome I seem to use my keyboard less and less. The only time when my hand strays is when I'm browsing the internet, listening to music or when I make occasional use of Thunar.

cardinals_fan
October 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I'm a big fan of mouse gestures within my web browser.
I was too, but then they started irritating my fingers. Typing is better for me :)

I find using the mouse is easier than cycling through everything with the tab button.
I just move my thumb down from the keyboard and put the cursor where i want it.
...which is why Vimperator has hints. It highlights all the links and provides numbers to enter.

I'm trying this out right now, i likes it:

http://my.opera.com/Blazeix/blog/2008/07/04/vimperator-for-opera#download

Only thing I keep running into is search boxes catching all the characters.
I'll be sure to give that a try.

EDIT: Thanks for trying, but that really didn't work well for me.

GNUchess (http://www.gnu.org/software/chess/chess.html)?

Here is a screenshot I found online.
I don't like GNUchess much as an engine, but it'll do in a pinch.

Since I've switched to Awesome I seem to use my keyboard less and less. The only time when my hand strays is when I'm browsing the internet, listening to music or when I make occasional use of Thunar.
I think you got that backwards ;)