PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Interface Not on Network Tools Device List

sjrlaw
October 12th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I am having problems getting a wifi card to work on a desktop machine (Linksys 802.11g, Broadcom chipset), although it works on my laptop. One difference I saw between the two machines is that the desktop does not show the wireless device (designated as wlan0) in the Network Device list in Gnome's Network Tools app, and the laptop does.

I have run iwconfig on both machines, and the only difference I can see is that the Link Quality, Signal Level, and Noise Level are all 0 on the desktop machine. The desktop card is 11g, while the laptop card is 11b, if that makes any difference. Both machines are running Hardy.

I have tweaked some settings on the desktop to match the laptop, but nothing. Both show the wireless connection icon in the upper right of the Gnome screen, but the desktop shows a 0% connection to the ESSID, and the laptop shows a 8-10% connection (the machines are in the basement, and the WAP is on the 2nd floor). Help! Any way of diagnosing this?