PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk laptop running Ubuntu

Sealbhach
October 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I just love the steampunk aesthetic. I just posted this here because he's using Boontoo.

http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm

kernelhaxor
October 12th, 2008, 10:09 PM
nice laptop

aeiah
October 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
haha thats quite amusing. the leather pads are a bit crap though, but ill let them off because the wireless antena is simply ingenious :)

steveneddy
October 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM
One of my favorite links.

http://www.crn.com/hardware/208400607

DeadSuperHero
October 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Man, this thread is based on an OLD topic.

Polygon
October 13th, 2008, 02:15 AM
ive never really understood the fad with steampunk...i mean....whats with it?

but cool case mod none the less.

Sealbhach
October 14th, 2008, 10:53 AM
ive never really understood the fad with steampunk...i mean....whats with it?

but cool case mod none the less.

I think it's about making beautiful objects with beautiful materials. Also, it's the thing about making something by hand - in this era of mass production.

nealklomp
November 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
While I have only stumbled upon Steampunk recently, I can say a few things about what it is.
Essentially, it is punk in the sense that it takes a specific aesthetic of function--for example workman's shirts in punk or close cut hair--then it intensifies and extends the signification of that aesthetic beyond simple function--a punk rocker wearing a gas station attendant's uniform and a mohawk on stage or a laptop that appears to have the functional mechanics of the 1850s-1930s era but clearly doesn't.
The aesthetic effort is to resist the simply functional and draw attention to the artificiality of such choices while reinforcing the need for such choices.
The political intent is to resist the modernization, to highlight an individualism in the face of mass culture, to suggest that now-ism is messy and we should try to slow down and redo a time that either (naively) is seen as pure or was impure but is seen as pure by popular culture. It is a sort of mockery through displaced imitation.
Essentially, the effort is to dash water on the political illusions cultural dillusions of the moment.

Oxwivi
November 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM
Uwah! That's quite heavy, I bet!

koleoptero
November 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM
While I have only stumbled upon Steampunk recently, I can say a few things about what it is.
Essentially, it is punk in the sense that it takes a specific aesthetic of function--for example workman's shirts in punk or close cut hair--then it intensifies and extends the signification of that aesthetic beyond simple function--a punk rocker wearing a gas station attendant's uniform and a mohawk on stage or a laptop that appears to have the functional mechanics of the 1850s-1930s era but clearly doesn't.
The aesthetic effort is to resist the simply functional and draw attention to the artificiality of such choices while reinforcing the need for such choices.
The political intent is to resist the modernization, to highlight an individualism in the face of mass culture, to suggest that now-ism is messy and we should try to slow down and redo a time that either (naively) is seen as pure or was impure but is seen as pure by popular culture. It is a sort of mockery through displaced imitation.
Essentially, the effort is to dash water on the political illusions cultural dillusions of the moment.

You raised a nearly 3 year-old thread to write this?

cariboo
November 21st, 2010, 08:31 AM
What is it with all these old threads being resurrected today. If you want to discuss all the various Steampunk computer projects out there, start a new thread. This one is closed.