PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy 64 bit. Compiz. Custom setting won't stick.

Roasted
October 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I installed simple-ccsm along with the advanced manager. When I go to sys-pref-appearance and select "custom" setting, it takes it. I exit out, go back in to check it, and it's back to "normal."

Why??

Note - I have a 9600GT PCIex16 2.0 graphics card. There were no restricted drivers. I have manually installed a driver via EnvyNG.

Roasted
October 13th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Do you guys think this could be 64 bit related? I'm tempted to put 32 bit in and give it a try... I'm also a little weery of envyng. I've never used it. Why in the world wouldn't I get a restricted driver for my 9600gt?

brianfreytag
October 13th, 2008, 06:28 PM
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_177.80.html

I believe that this will support your graphics card. You can't simply "install" it. You'll have to "do it the Ubuntu way." Search the forums or wiki for this documentation.

A slightly older version is in the repos and I'm sure you can find them.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy#NVidia_Driver

This is also a good source for that.

As for your Compiz not holding, it is not a 64-bit issue that I'm aware of. I'm running it in Hardy 8.04 LTS 64-bit, and it works like a dream.

I would venture to guess that it's the fact that your graphics drivers are poor. I would try to get those going with the restricted drivers and then test it out.

Roasted
October 14th, 2008, 02:55 AM
brian - thanks for the response. I was actually on the nvidia site earlier, but I ended up not doing anything just yet till I got a response cause my graphics card, 9600GT, wasn't listed there. But seeing 9500 and 9700 and all that I was like, whaaaat... how different could it be. But I didn't want to assume.

I'm in windows land now, downloading my newly purchased CS-Source. :) I'll give it a shot in Ubuntu when I travel back over to home territory. :guitar:

brianfreytag
October 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Those cards listed are the ones that that they recently added support for.

You should be good.

Roasted
October 14th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Oh, so was the 9600GT already supported previously?

I'll give it a shot regardless... once I can pull myself away from CS: Source... :lolflag:

EDIT - how exactly do I go about installing this? I ran that sh command from the terminal, but it complained about a current x server already running.

Roasted
October 17th, 2008, 05:55 AM
bump...

Dsmn
October 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Press alt+ctrl+F1.
Login as root.
Execute: killall gdm
Execute sh <nvidia_file_name>.
Follow the nvidia installer's instructions (Let the installer config X when prompted).
Execute: gdm
Press alt+ctrl+F7.

That should do the trick.

Roasted
October 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Didn't work.

This is getting really, really old. Considering how popular Nvidia is, let alone the 9600GT, I find it hard to believe that this thing would be this much of a pain in the rear to install.

Anybody have this card?
Anybody with it running 64 bit?
Compiz?

There has to be an easy solution to this...

Roasted
October 18th, 2008, 05:46 PM
When I posted before saying it didn't work, I mean that installing the nvidia driver didn't work. I found that I was to do /etc/init.d/gdm stop instead of killall gdm.

So, I installed the driver. It yielded no different results. So I kicked Envy back into gear. Now, I don't know if there's a way to uninstall the nvidia driver I manually installed, but I just reinstalled Envy and installed the latest driver there.

But even still, it doesn't work.

Basically, I have a 9600 GT with Envy and I can't get my custom setting to work with compiz. How can I fix it, before I go insane?

EDIT - Now I'm getting "desktop effects could not be enabled"

Roasted
October 19th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Hi.
I'm about to lose it.
Anybody?

Roasted
October 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM
I upgraded to 64 bit Intrepid 8.10 Beta. It's running really smooth and all. I installed 177 Nvidia drivers and installed simple ccsm + advanced ccsm. And even still, my setting reverts back to normal.

Come on, what did I miss? I can't iron this one out.

Roasted
October 29th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Is there ANYBODY else out there having this issue?

Did I forget to install something?

If it's a problem with compiz itself, will it be fixed upon final release?

Roasted
October 30th, 2008, 05:21 AM
I'm stupid.

Really, really stupid.

Turns out it reverted my settings back to normal because my custom settings were all default. Once I changed a default setting in the compiz manager, then selected custom, the custom option stuck. I guess with them being previously defaulted across the board, it just kicked them to normal.

Fixed. Duur.

EDIT - However, I do have a question. With custom effects enabled, I lose my ctrl w and ctrl t in firefox (which closes tabs as well as opens a new tab, I use these keys all the time). The thing is, when I hit ctrl t, it doesn't do anything... like compiz wise... it doesn't do anything for me to track down which setting it may be that's interfering. I dont' know, I just need my ctrl w and ctrl t back for firefox! I can't even copy text from an IM... I guess it's my ctrl key?