PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall 8.04? How?

boardfoot
October 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I have my laptop with 7.10 that runs perfect. I have a desktop that runs 8.04 and oh boy the problems....

Question:

How do I uninstall 8.04 and then install 7.10 on the desktop?

Please spare me the support for 8.04, or questions about what is wrong with 8.04. The answer is LOTS to all. I just want to uninstall 8.04 (for my own personal reasons) and then install 7.10 in its place.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers,
Jason

Gutt
October 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
can't you just pop in a 7.10 cd and just erase the partition ?

OutOfReach
October 12th, 2008, 09:01 PM
You can install 7.10 over it (make sure to format it first while installing).
Or you can use GParted (On a LiveCD) and wipe out that partition that contains 8.04

kansasnoob
October 12th, 2008, 10:40 PM
You're talking about a full reinstall from the 7.10 Live CD. that's OK. I've done it.

Since 8.04 uses Brasero I just use Basero to create a back-up of home on CD/DVD, but you'll notice it "excludes" hidden folders. Well, it should!

Some of the stuff in 8.04's hidden folders would "break" 7.10. For the most part I just keep my unhidden stuff + the .mozilla folder which has all of my Firefox stuff - but still not even all of that will work in 7.10's Firefox!

I generally just use places.sqlite which is the bookmarks.

boardfoot
October 16th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys,

I answered my own question right after I posted. I had an alternate CD for 7.10 (from my new laptop install...) and it was a little confusing. So I grabbed the desktop CD and booted in... removed the old partition (well... formatted it) and installed into the newly formatted partition.

Worked like a charm.

Anyone else having quirky failures in 8.04? 7.10 is a rock... but 8.04 still seems a bit skiddish.

Does anyone know if there are plans to update/grade nautilus. Its a bit basic and its annoying having to switch windows for LAN network connecting. Konquerer isn't much better combining network connections into the folder hierarchy. I think that is the only nicety I *GASP* miss from the Microsux product. Any suggestions?

Anyways... we're a 100% ubuntu family now... and LOVIN it.

jerome1232
October 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
What are you using to do file sharing, you can usually mount them, or at least setup a bookmark so that it's in your Places menu.

Keen101
October 16th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I've never had too many problems with 8.04 in fact it was better in my opinion to 7.10. What kind of system do you have, and what kind of problems.

The 8.10 version is coming out soon, it seems to be upgrading a lot of things. oh, and 7.10 will not be supported for much longer. after you installed 8.04 did you do all the updates? It may have been that your install cd had a bug, that was fixed later.

as for your networking program... i'm sure there is another linux alternative that will do what you want. You just have to find it :D