PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change names of links in Places menu

mastakebob
October 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have 2 500gig internal drives in my Ubuntu 8.04.1 box. They're mounted to ~/Movie and ~/TV, but they both show up in the Places dropdown menu as "500 GB Media". They also show up on my desktop with that unhelpful name. How can I change the displayed name to "Movie" and "TV"? I imagine this has been answered before, but I can't seem to find any info on it. Thanks for any help...

tom957
October 13th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I've wondered about the same thing.

mastakebob
October 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
A previous thread said something about the ~/.gtk-<forget exactly what the file name was> is the key, but when I look in that file, I just see a plain text list of media mounts. So that wasn't much help. When I tried dragging them into the places menu from Nautlius, it just changes to 500 gig media again, which isn't much help. Do I have to mount them to /media and then just link to them from my home directory? (I'm not at my home computer so I can't check that idea out quite yet)

vanadium
October 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Your drives are probably mounted twice, once under /media and once under your home directory.

Anyway, I would mount internal drives under /mnt using /etc/fstab, then create a symlink to my home directory. You determine how you access the drive through the name of the symlink.

For external drives, I would be using the automatic mounting. In that case, Ubuntu will use a meaningful name if you label the partition. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive

mastakebob
October 15th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Beautiful, worked like a charm.

Mounted both under /mnt/Movie or TV, then symlinked them to ~/Movie and ~/TV and then dragged those two symlinks to my "Places" in Nautilus. They didn't immediately show up, but once i closed out of Nautilus and then reopened it, they were there.