PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gparted is taking too long

group256
October 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hi,

few days ago, I tried to dual boot my Sony laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Windows Xp. So I installed my windows and then after going through some tutorials I started to install Ubuntu. I did all the partitioning stuff and it started to perform the partitioning. But suddenly gave an error and I simply thought that maybe I made a simple mistake and if I restart the machine it would be fine. After restarting, I couldn't boot up my Xp. but it was not the only problem. I tried to install Ubuntu, when it just wanted to advance to partitioning step, suddenly it hanged. So I tried it few times and then decided to format the whole hard disk again and start over. I used Xp cd to delete all partition but amazingly Xp told me that can not delete the partition. I used Vista DVD, it couldn't even load up to installation screen. I took out my last weapon Active killDisk and surprisingly it couldn't boot up either. So, I started to use Gparted Live cd and tried to delete one partition, and I did it about 30 hours ago, and it still working. Do you think it's normal?? It's only deleting one 17 GB partition. The whole hard disk is 40 GB. Please help me to solve the problem as it seems that I'm badly stuck.

Thanks a lot in advnace.

Partyboi2
October 13th, 2008, 05:30 AM
30 hours is a long time to delete a partition, have you checked your hard drive for defects?

group256
October 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
30 hours is a long time to delete a partition, have you checked your hard drive for defects?

I have no idea what is defects. Could you please explain more??
I really need help here, cause it seems that this laptop is useless now. No way to get its hard disk to work again. Please, anyone knows the answer, I would be glad to try it.

group256
October 14th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I just wanted to add up that, I stopped Gparted after 42 hours. Now, it seems that the only way left for me is to CHANGE MY HARD DISK. Seriously, nobody knows a way to destroy the hard disk and reformat, and repartition it all over again???

Please, I'm really desperate now. I can't use my laptop!!

Partyboi2
October 14th, 2008, 06:29 AM
I have no idea what is defects. Could you please explain more??
I really need help here, cause it seems that this laptop is useless now. No way to get its hard disk to work again. Please, anyone knows the answer, I would be glad to try it. Your hard drive might be on the way out, you can try using something like smartmontools (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools)or Ultimate boot cd (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) to check your hard drive to see what condition it is in.