PDA

View Full Version : Changing Ubuntu's login screen resolution?

nakedLefty
November 24th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Hi guys, gonna try this post again.

Does any one here have any idea as to how one can change the resolution of the "login screen" for Ubuntu 5.10?

I would like it very much to have the same resolution going on the "login screen" as my desktops resolution, and not as it is now where it's set to "max" resolution my screen or gfx card can handle.

Please help me Obi-ones, you are my only hopes :)

/nL

Pablo_Escobar
November 24th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Issue this command in the terminal
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Scroll down where You'll have 24 bits and below - the resolutions.
Erase the high ones (which You don't want to have) and as a first leave the one You want the login and desktop to have (mine's 1024x768 :( )

nakedLefty
November 24th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Oh great thanks Pablo.

Are you sad you cannot go any higher than 1024*768? I mean I'm just at the next stop 1152*864@85Hz on my Samsung SyncMaster 700NF - but it works fine for me :)

Pablo_Escobar
November 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I've got and old CRT 17'' that can't go higher. I'll start saving for some nice LCD :)
Hope now login resolution is as You wanted it to be. :)

nakedLefty
November 24th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Hurrah.... thank a bunch pEscobar, it worked like a charm, and looks soooooo much nicer than when it's "preassureing" my monitor/gfx card to the point where it just doesn't look nice or readable any more.

3 thumbs up Pablo, you're becoming my "go-to" guy! :)

/nL

BTW: CRT monitors rock... I mean I do "alot" of photoediting and homepage stuff here, and the "LCD"s that I have seen so far has not impressed me that much... well ofcourse the totally out of range priced ones look cool, but are out of range with that price tag.

Pablo_Escobar
November 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Glad to be of service :)
In case You need help - PM me :)

nakedLefty
November 24th, 2005, 04:16 PM
will do... you good looking guy you :)