PDA

View Full Version : pc world return policy

paul101
October 12th, 2008, 12:36 PM
apparently, because ive had my laptop for more than 28 days, they will not provide a refund or replacement. all we got was a number for a repair centre or something and told to go away

the particular problem is that the screen, randomly flickers and is sometimes unusable (particularly annoying when drafting essays or general web surfing (in-fact, it is flickering right now))

pc world seems to write their own laws as far as statutory rights goes

now... after we've moved house i have to go through the nonsense of getting the thing prepared, going through acer (basically pc world cant be bothered dealing with the laptop) and waiting several weeks, months? for it to be returned to my doorstep

i just want a replacement :roll:

Lutin
October 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
PC World are taking the p1ss mate. Have a chat with the Citizens Adviec Bureau or even Trading Standards.

If the machine is as bad as you say it is, then it is clearly "unfit for the purpose for which it was sold" and you should at least be offered a no quibble replacement.

I have put the quote in quotes as that is the legal position and no one, not even pc world, can wriggle out of it!

paul101
October 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM
yeah, sometimes it is fine... then other times it is just imposable to work with!

btw, its an acer aspire 5920 ;)

aeiah
October 12th, 2008, 01:39 PM
make sure you didnt sign something regarding this 28 day thing when you bought it if you're gonna kick up such a fuss. isnt the laptop under manufacturers warranty? its common for electrical stores (and lets face it, thats all pc world is) to do the 28 days thing and then after that you send it to acer.

paul101
October 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
make sure you didnt sign something regarding this 28 day thing when you bought it if you're gonna kick up such a fuss. isnt the laptop under manufacturers warranty? its common for electrical stores (and lets face it, thats all pc world is) to do the 28 days thing and then after that you send it to acer.

yeah, and wait 5 weeks for them to say that there is no problem w/th the laptop :rolleyes:

smoker
October 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
first off, i would go to the citizens advice or trading standards to be sure of your position, then i would write to the branch manager (with a copy going to head office), asking to put in writing his/the companies reasons for refusing to replace the faulty item. don't phone or speak face to face, you are better with a paper record of every communication.

trading standards are pretty good where i live and if they see you're being messed about they will help.

best of luck

paul101
October 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM
trading standards are pretty good where i live and if they see you're being messed about they will help.

best of luck

@@ smoker, where are you in scotland? (just curious) :razz:

just doing a search, there seems to be plenty of other people in the same situation. . . pc world seem to write their own law :roll:

smoker
October 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
@@ smoker, where are you in scotland? (just curious) :razz:

just doing a search, there seems to be plenty of other people in the same situation. . . pc world seem to write their own law :roll:

motherwell :), where are you?

paul101
October 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
cumbernauld :razz:

gn2
October 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
cumbernauld :razz:

Nae luck!

I'm in Newtonhill (just south of Aberdeen, I'm an ex-pat weedgie)

As for the laptop, just get straight on to Acer UK, don't waste time with PC World.

Screen flickering could be a dodgy screen cable or loose connector, try the screen at different angles.

Is it the same in both Windows and Linux?

howefield
October 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
A previous poster hit it on the head, if the laptop is not fit for purpose, your beef is with the retailer.

Incidentally, the Sale of Goods Act says that you as the consumer should not be have to pay to put things right, the seller is due certain costs, postage, petrol ect ect.

Have a read..

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computeractive/features/2014044/know-consumer-rights-part-basics

The law is on your side.

styven
October 12th, 2008, 08:17 PM
As previous responses have quoted, you have rights, go straight to head office, quoting these rights.

Be prepared to be a right pain in the rear, stay calm and stick to your guns.

Do not accept that the manufacturer deals with the problem, your contract is with PC World and they know it. The 28 day thing is merely delaying tactics, it is reasonable to expect this type of purchase to not develop a fault so soon.

I make a point of not purchasing from PC world due to price and the issue you now find yourself in.

I have mentioned before the story of a friend of mine returning a digi camera, to cut a long story short he remained in the store for 3 hours until his statutory rights were adhered to.They to tried to fob him off.

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.uk/FaultyGoods.html

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/dealing-with-faulty-goods/your-rights/index.jsp

Good luck.
Steve.

tunznath
October 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I had the same problem with PC world in the UK - after 30 days the computer wouldnt start up - dead - they gave me the send away for repair as well, lots of phone calls and no replacement but after telling them the Unfit for purpose thing they replaced it - try it read the consumer rights thing and quote it to them

ugm6hr
October 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Just a note of warning...

If you do end up dealing with Acer direct, do not expect the laptop back soon... they are notorious for taking forever to fix things.

lisati
October 12th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Being clear on what you want to achieve, knowing your rights, and being assertive (firm and fair, not aggressive) can pay off. I recently heard of a couple who had problems with their vacuum cleaner: they were pretty sure that it was still under warranty, but the shop said "no". After persisting in finding a solution (which included contacting the manufacturer) they were able to able to get things put right. http://www.consumer.org.nz/newsitem.asp?docid=2362&category=News&topic=Newbolds%20warranty%20dispute

(I would have had the link a couple of minutes ago but was looking at the wrong webstie)

paul101
October 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Just a note of warning...

If you do end up dealing with Acer direct, do not expect the laptop back soon... they are notorious for taking forever to fix things.

ugh! Thats exacly what i want to avoid

I make a point of not purchasing from PC world due to price and the issue you now find yourself in.

I have mentioned before the story of a friend of mine returning a digi camera, to cut a long story short he remained in the store for 3 hours until his statutory rights were adhered to.They to tried to fob him off.

Good luck.
Steve.

3 hours? :shock: (actually, for a core2duo, with 3gb ram, dvd writer and a pretty good set of speakers, £400 was quite a good deal)

Is it the same in both Windows and Linux?

i installed wubi, the first time i noticed it, was when i was in Linux. . . it was only a VERY SLIGHT (only a few pix movement) flicker and didnt think much of it; now it is much worse

to be sure. i've tried a live cd, it still flickered as bad.

paul101
October 13th, 2008, 01:13 AM
just sent pc world a nice e-mail

lets see when (and if) they reply

smoker
October 13th, 2008, 01:34 AM
just sent pc world a nice e-mail

lets see when (and if) they reply

better to write snail mail, addressed to 'head of department', and recorded if possible, with an end paragraph that a copy will be available to trading standards and your legal representative if no reply by a certain date is forthcoming.

hopefully they will reply quickly to your email, but some companies will deny ever receiving email,

best of luck

paul101
October 13th, 2008, 01:37 AM
mail? whats that? :roll: