PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] KDE 4.1.2 installation?

armageddon08
October 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
When I install KDE 4.1.2 using the command
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-kde4-desktop many the extra apps that get installed with it.
How do I install KDE without them?

sokopok
October 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
You could instead install kdebase-runtime, this will install a minimal set of kde support apps/libs. Then add other things you like/need.
Alternatively just install the specific kde application you want, the package manager will install dependecies for you.

armageddon08
October 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
You could instead install kdebase-runtime, this will install a minimal set of kde support apps/libs. Then add other things you like/need.
Alternatively just install the specific kde application you want, the package manager will install dependecies for you.
Most of the GNOME applications work fine on KDE4. So it does not make sense to have two sets of applications for the same task. I would like to have the KDE4 DE and not the entire application set.

benerivo
October 12th, 2008, 08:16 PM
When I install KDE 4.1.2 using the command
sudo aptitude install kubuntu-kde4-desktop many the extra apps that get installed with it.
How do I install KDE without them?

To just get the minimal kde4 desktop try
sudo apt-get install kdebase-kde4

armageddon08
October 13th, 2008, 05:44 AM
To just get the minimal kde4 desktop try
sudo apt-get install kdebase-kde4

It didn't work. Whenever I try to login to my KDE4 desktop it gives some error and says something like could not find/start startkde , falling back to default and then it starts GNOME.

armageddon08
October 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Isn't there any way I can install minimal KDE4?

benerivo
October 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
kdebase-kde4 must be missing something. Have a look through synaptic and see what other minimal packages are there. The right one might now be called something like kde4-core. I'm sure there will be a minimal package that will do the job, however kdebase-kde4 is probably only one package away from making it start. Maybe kde4-workspace, or something like that.

armageddon08
October 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
kdebase-kde4 must be missing something. Have a look through synaptic and see what other minimal packages are there. The right one might now be called something like kde4-core. I'm sure there will be a minimal package that will do the job, however kdebase-kde4 is probably only one package away from making it start. Maybe kde4-workspace, or something like that.
Okay....I'm now installing kde4-core and i'm feeling it's gonna go right this time!:)

EDIT: Hey it worked....thanks! I'll now install a minimal set of kde4 alternatives to applications which I use most.