PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] KDE Applications work on GNOME?

fikelfikel
October 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'm wanting to try a KDE application that is in the Add/Remove Applications section. I'm using the GNOME version of Ubuntu, so will it work?

PS. Can anybody help me with my Ipod? I downloaded Wine Windows Emulater, but Itunes dosn't work right. I need to load an Itunes Library, and add more songs to it.

linux_tech
October 12th, 2008, 03:37 PM
The KDE application can be installed either using synaptic
or sudo apt get install. The only real drawback to running KDE apps in Gnome is that it must install some KDE libraries and then install the application itself this may require additional space. Then when you run them it may take a littile longer for them to start because a library is loading.

SuperSonic4
October 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
The KDE application can be installed either using synaptic
or sudo apt get install. The only real drawback to running KDE apps in Gnome is that it must install some KDE libraries and then install the application itself this may require additional space. Then when you run them it may take a littile longer for them to start because a library is loading.

+1

As for the iPod I use amarok (kde app) and have no problems although some people use rhythmbox and/or gtkpod especially on gnome. The newest models however are unsupported and have to be jailbroken to work

cilkay
October 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
The only real drawback to running KDE apps in Gnome is that it must install some KDE libraries and then install the application itself this may require additional space.

If you are running Gnome or KDE, chances are disk space is not so tight that a few megabytes is not going to make any difference. For me, this is a non-issue.

Then when you run them it may take a littile longer for them to start because a library is loading.

In theory. In practice, you are unlikely to notice any difference. Don't be concerned about if an app you would like to run depends on libraries from one desktop manager or another. Just run the app that best suits you. The whole point of Linux is that you have the freedom to choose which applications you run and how. I have never had problems running Gnome/GTK apps in KDE, or vice versa.