PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help. problem with my update

miko16
October 12th, 2008, 07:10 AM
guys, need help. i installed a limewire on my ubuntu gutsy, but it failed to continue. now i cannot access the synaptic package manager.
this message appears

There is another synaptic running in non-interactive mode. Please wait for it to finish first.

but there is nothing running with that. and also i cannot update my system anymore.. this message appears when i install the update.

An error occured

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

how do i correct this guys? thank you..

Elfy
October 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
The problem with that error message is that it assume you were root when you were working with the packages (which you were, synaptic opens with root rights) so you need to become root to run the command - and any that affect the system, you need to use sudo, open a terminal from accessories - it will need your normal password to continue.

Password will not appear when you type it - it is there though.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

miko16
October 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
The problem with that error message is that it assume you were root when you were working with the packages (which you were, synaptic opens with root rights) so you need to become root to run the command - and any that affect the system, you need to use sudo, open a terminal from accessories - it will need your normal password to continue.

Password will not appear when you type it - it is there though.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

after i entered that this message appears
Setting up java-common (0.26ubuntu1) ...

Setting up odbcinst1debian1 (2.2.11-16) ...

Setting up unixodbc (2.2.11-16) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

after that i run the update manager. this message appears

Software index is broken

It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a terminal to fix this issue at first.

what should i do next?:(

Partyboi2
October 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
In a terminal do as it suggests, type

sudo apt-get install -f

miko16
October 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
thank you peeps. you guys really help me a lot. my ubuntu is fine now. thanks