PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Difference between using Trash and just moving files to another folder?

susanne260
October 12th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Is there a difference between using the Trash bin ("Move to Trash" from the right-click menu in Nautilus) and just simply moving files to another folder?

I've noticed that if I move files to Trash, and then open up the Trash bin, I can't preview or open any of the files inside. In order to view the contents of the files in Trash, I'd first have to move them to another folder. So, why would I use the Trash bin, when I can for example just create a folder called "temp" or "trash" on my Home folder and move the files there (where I can conveniently preview and open the files) instead?

I mean if I use the Trash bin, the files are still on my hard drive in the exact same condition, except that I can't open them. Does the Trash bin auto-compress the files in order to save the diskspace? Or does it have any benefits over just moving files to another self-created folder? :p

Sef
October 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Is there a difference between using the Trash bin ("Move to Trash" from the right-click menu in Nautilus) and just simply moving files to another folder?

I've noticed that if I move files to Trash, and then open up the Trash bin, I can't preview or open any of the files inside. In order to view the contents of the files in Trash, I'd first have to move them to another folder. So, why would I use the Trash bin, when I can for example just create a folder called "temp" or "trash" on my Home folder and move the files there (where I can conveniently preview and open the files) instead?

I mean if I use the Trash bin, the files are still on my hard drive in the exact same condition, except that I can't open them. Does the Trash bin auto-compress the files in order to save the diskspace? Or does it have any benefits over just moving files to another self-created folder? :p

Trash is for deleting files that you no longer want. You can empty the trash, which removes the links to the files. If you wanted to save the files for whatever reason, then moving them to a folder that you created is fine. So it comes down to do you want to get rid of (delete) the file or save it for another time?