PDA

View Full Version : Bugzilla report?

jc87
November 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Yesterday i found a "bug" in openoffice , my first though was to fill a bugzilla report , but since i dont want to "flood" the guys who handle that kind of stuff (because the "bug" can be located between the keyboard and the chair , or planned to be corrected in the next stable version of OO ) , i´m gonna tell which bug it is , and ask your opinion if i should fill the bug report or no .

My father yesterday gave me a cd full of .doc files from ms office , every time i want to open them OO gave me an error saying that the file was not found.

It happens that later i found out that the problem was the files names , because they contain chars like ´ ` ~ , and the name ends for being shonwed like for example "POLICIAL PUBLICA??ES (invalid encoding)" , instead of "policial publicações" , i can "solve" the problem by changing the file name to "policial publicacoes" but there are more than 2000 files and changing them all manually is not exactly easy .

I in the past openned files with that kind of charset without any problems ( for example video files with xine) , so i assume that the problem is not me , my question is now what sould i do? should i post a bugzilla report? should i search for the OO foruns in the net and post the problem there ? should i see a list of OO bugs planned to be corrected in the future and search if my is in the list? i need your opinion because i dont want to be that kind of user who post bugzilla reports for all and for nothing , or that just ignore the bugs and hope someonelse correct them.

P.S. I place this thread in the community chat because no other section appered to "fit" in .

PS2 : I was changing some of the files names , and then i realize that the problem was the file permissions , i thought that was the file names because i had to change the permissions to change the files names , and started working that way (so i assumed that was the problem) what is strange because all the files had read permission , oh well , good thing i never filled that bug report

Moderatores please lock this thread , and sorry about the workload ( but i spend hours trying to find out the problem , and only discovered the "correct one" after this thread was started).

earobinson
November 24th, 2005, 03:35 PM
*extra points for searching for the answer to your poblem*

Also when you find a bug the best thing to do is to search the listed bugs and then post your bug, you can always edit or deleate (cant remember whcih) the bug later.

IMO this is still a bug if oo was claiming that the file was not found instead of bad permisions.