PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever ordered anything from dell direct?

Kernel Sanders
October 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Yesterday I ordered a new 6 cell battery for my Dell XPS M1330 (awesome laptop btw :guitar: ) to go with the 9 cell that I already had.

They accepted my order, and then estimated delivery on 28th November 2008 :shock:

That's almost 7 weeks away? They need 7 weeks to ship a laptop battery? :confused:

Is this the norm with dell? I mean, do they always specify ridiculous delivery times but deliver within a week or two anway? :confused:

fatality_uk
October 11th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Sadly yes.
Usually they quote huge lead times, then post it earlier and then you get allhappy and say great service... ;)

TravisNewman
October 11th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Yesterday I ordered a new 6 cell battery for my Dell XPS M1330 (awesome laptop btw :guitar: ) to go with the 9 cell that I already had.

They accepted my order, and then estimated delivery on 11th November 2008 :shock:

That's almost 7 weeks away? They need 7 weeks to ship a laptop battery? :confused:

Is this the norm with dell? I mean, do they always specify ridiculous delivery times but deliver within a week or two anway? :confused:

7 weeks? it's exactly one month away. Still, that's pretty ridiculous since you can usually get things in a week at most nowadays.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Don't worry. I pre-ordered my Dell 910 on September 27, and they estimated it would ship November 3, and see this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5944685&postcount=13

If a pre-order of a custom netbook that is back ordered comes weeks early, your battery shouldn't take that long.

jespdj
October 11th, 2008, 10:44 PM
No, that is not "the norm with Dell".

The time it takes highly depends on what product you order. Some items are in short supply. I remember from half a year ago or so that there was a fire somewhere in a factory that made batteries, which lead to higher prices and long ordering times for batteries. Maybe they still have problems because of that.

The long times for the Dell Inspiron Mini are probably because there's a limited supply of Intel Atom processors.

Kernel Sanders
October 11th, 2008, 10:53 PM
7 weeks? it's exactly one month away. Still, that's pretty ridiculous since you can usually get things in a week at most nowadays.

Sorry, my post was wrong, I meant the 28th November 2008 #-o

pp.
October 11th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I used to order computers from Dell.

They left the factory roughly twenty-four hours after I sent the order. It took about a day or two to bring them to the destination airport (with one intermediate hop). Add another day for bringing the stuff by lorry to my doorstep. The rest of of the two to three week's delivery time the boxes spent in destination airport waiting for customs.

ddarsow
October 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have ordered parts for my Lattitude D620 several times directly from DEll. Parts odered included: battery, power cord, extra ram, fan, lcd screen, inverter.

All were in my hand withing 48 hours! I must admit though that the laptop is used for law school and the parts were ordered from DEll by the IT staff at my school.

smoker
October 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM
i did order a couple of laptop power supplies before and they came within a week, though that was well over a year ago. i suppose power supplies are kept well in stock!

de616
October 12th, 2008, 01:02 AM
around a year ago i bought 22" dell monitor, i think it took them no more than a couple of weeks to arrive (i might be wrong about the exact time, been a while). But it's definetely not 7 weeks.

Regards,

De