PDA

View Full Version : Another Ubuntu Forum

Tamlynmac
October 11th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Recently I found another Ubuntu Forum:
http://theubuntuforums.org/index.php

Was wondering if it's affiliated with this forum? I really like the look and feel of the site, but they don't seem to have many members. That's what makes me curious if it's some how associated with this forum. If not, should we support this forum as an extension of the Ubuntu community?

Just wondering why two forums exists basically performing the same function and if so why we would or wouldn't support it?

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
No it isn't. It's only an alternate forum.
And I don't think an alternate forum really hurts.

corney91
October 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
And I don't think an alternate forum really hurts.
That's the spirit of open-source! :D

DemonBob
October 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Recently I found another Ubuntu Forum:
http://theubuntuforums.org/index.php

Was wondering if it's affiliated with this forum? I really like the look and feel of the site, but they don't seem to have many members. That's what makes me curious if it's some how associated with this forum. If not, should we support this forum as an extension of the Ubuntu community?

Just wondering why two forums exists basically performing the same function and if so why we would or wouldn't support it?

It don't hurt to have another forum.....but it is ugly. IMHO

smartboyathome
October 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It's not affiliated, I think it was started because someone didn't like that this forum uses closed source software (to which I say oh well).

Tamlynmac
October 11th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Thank you for the feedback.

I was just curious. If anyone here actually a member of that site? I considered signing up but didn't see any advantage, unless of course it would provide additional interaction with other Ubuntu users and/or it was associated with this forum.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM

I was just curious. If anyone here actually a member of that site? I considered signing up but didn't see any advantage, unless of course it would provide additional interaction with other Ubuntu users and/or it was associated with this forum.

No, there is no purpose (it also doesn't have permission from Canonical to use the name).

This is the official Ubuntu forum.

schauerlich
October 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Wow, pretty much all of their posts are in the Community section and Linux News. Not exactly support-centered...

EDIT: 56% of their posts are by a bot that fetches links to the latest news stories and makes a thread.

Tamlynmac
October 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
LaRoza Re: Another Ubuntu Forum
No, there is no purpose (it also doesn't have permission from Canonical to use the name).

Does that mean they are violating a copy right law or name ownership? If so why are they permitted to continue? Seems rather strange that Canonical wouldn't object, unless they don't make a profit and even then many organizations would still pursue the issue.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Does that mean they are violating a copy right law or name ownership? If so why are they permitted to continue? Seems rather strange that Canonical wouldn't object, unless they don't make a profit and even then many organizations would still pursue the issue.

Trademark.

Ask Canonical ;) It is a small issue though, so I don't think it would be worth the trouble.

It isn't strange. Why do people think that? It has nothing to do with profits. http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

SunnyRabbiera
October 11th, 2008, 08:55 PM
It don't hurt to have another forum.....but it is ugly. IMHO

Looks fine too me, it imitates the looks of hardy quite well.

lukjad
October 11th, 2008, 09:00 PM

I'm a member, but I never really go there. So, no reason.

eragon100
October 11th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm a member, but I never really go there. So, no reason.

Me too :wink:

Tamlynmac
October 11th, 2008, 09:20 PM
LaRoza Re: Another Ubuntu Forum
Trademark.

Ask Canonical :wink: It is a small issue though, so I don't think it would be worth the trouble.

It isn't strange. Why do people think that? It has nothing to do with profits. http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

It does stipulate numerous times in the trademark policy that there is no "commercial intent" behind the use. I assume the term "commercial intent" equates to profit. Most trademark violations (I've heard about) generally involved profit. Maybe that's one reason Canonical isn't concerned. Not being an attorney - I have no idea.

Anyway, thank you for enlightening me...

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
It does stipulate numerous times in the trademark policy that there is no "commercial intent" behind the use. I assume the term "commercial intent" equates to profit. Most trademark violations (I've heard about) generally involved profit. Maybe that's one reason Canonical isn't concerned. Not being an attorney - I have no idea.

Anyway, thank you for enlightening me...

It is in the URI, which is mentioned clearly.

kernelhaxor
October 12th, 2008, 12:05 AM
As far as I know, you are not permitted to use registered trademarks in domain names if you are not the owner of the trademark. I know of numerous cases where the trademark owners have seized such domains.
Microsoft & Adobe have done tht a lot.

loell
October 12th, 2008, 12:11 AM
kiwi speaks,

KiwiNZ Wrote:
Hi

Just to clear any confusion . I closed the thread at Ubuntu Forums to stop any Flamefest and to allow the Forum Council time to consider the situation.
The Council has considered it and see no issue form the UF perspective. I have reopened the thread at UF.

All the best with your efforts, any opportunity to promote our favourite distro is always a good thing.

Cheers
KiwiNZ
Ubuntu Forums Admin and Forum Council Member

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, from the point of view of these forums. But Canonical may have a different stance on this matter.

Panther96
March 9th, 2009, 06:52 AM