PDA

View Full Version : Can I speak totally anonymous?

tigrezno
October 11th, 2008, 07:28 PM
today i was looking for a way to spread my "voice" (letters) to the internet, but i wanted it to be anonymous.

i mean, without ip logging, without personal information, and the likes. In the form of a free domain or something like that.

is this possible today?

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
today i was looking for a way to spread my "voice" (letters) to the internet, but i wanted it to be anonymous.

i mean, without ip logging, without personal information, and the likes. In the form of a free domain or something like that.

is this possible today?

To an extent...Yes. But you can never be totally untraceable.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 07:34 PM

is this possible today?

If you want to spread illegal things, it is not possible. Don't do it.

If it is legal, it is possible.

One always has something "traceable" but it depends on the tracer if it is or not (theory aside)

tigrezno
October 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
totally legal things, only words!

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM

Then it can be anonymous. If you really want to hide, you can use tor or another proxy system.

tigrezno
October 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM
wow thanks for the tip, i'll give TOR a try :)

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
wow thanks for the tip, i'll give TOR a try :)
Tor is not invincible. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion_Router#Weaknesses

You need more than Tor I guess by what you said in the OP.

lukjad
October 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Insurrection starts with just words. :D

Make sure to have a spare e-mail address for your "secret words". ;)

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Tor is not invincible. ;)

I think that the OP is just wanting to post online without giving out information, not hide from the FBI.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
... not hide from the FBI.
Which all geeks want to do. Not for doing something wrong but for the heck of it. ;)

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Which all geeks want to do. Not for doing something wrong but for the heck of it. ;)

Probably.

I have many false identities on the internet. Only two are known to be linked by any single person.

wolfen69
October 11th, 2008, 09:01 PM
the OP could always use TOR in conjunction with www.proxylord.com

lisati
October 11th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I think that the OP is just wanting to post online without giving out information, not hide from the FBI.
Speaking of the FBI, one of the tricks scammers have used on me (unsusccessfully) is to pretend to be the FBI. One of the things that gave the game away is that they used a hotmail email address.

the OP could always use TOR in conjunction with www.proxylord.com
I haven't used them for a while, but http://www.sneakemail.com/ is a tool that helps protect your real email address.

tigrezno
October 12th, 2008, 02:22 AM
the interesting thing, is that those tools are "geek only", i mean, they are not the general use on the internet.

but the internet should be anonymous by default IMO.

LaRoza
October 12th, 2008, 03:13 AM
but the internet should be anonymous by default IMO.

It is.

But, ISP's exist. IP's exist.

You can't get a response from a request without sending your IP, and this is usually sent through some sort of ISP that you don't control and they give the IP and have records for the service.

So, a single IP address isn't enough for an individual. They can find the ISP, but getting the ISP to give information requires warrants (and even then, DHCP is dynamic).

earthpigg
October 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM

yeah, i really have no idea why i have an encrypted partition... :guitar:

smoker
October 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM

is this possible today?

there's always a trail, it depends on how much effort someone wants to take to track you down, and how much effort you want to use to avoid detection. unless it is just being generally anonymous to the general public, using your own computer at home is a definite no for a start.

Erik Trybom
October 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Go to an Internet café, pay in cash. They can trace it to the computer, but they cannot know who sat there at a certain time.

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Of course they can. It's called a security camera. ;)

jimi_hendrix
October 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Go to an Internet café, pay in cash. They can trace it to the computer, but they cannot know who sat there at a certain time.

Of course they can. It's called a security camera. ;)

public library then?

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Membership card, and you need to sign the register. And I don't know about yours, but my librarians know me on a first name basis. And I think that there are cameras there too.

lisati
October 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM
public library then?

<aside>My local public library is housed in a building that used to hold the local courts. Perhaps I'd better behave myself there </aside>

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Heh. That too. And it doesn't help that anyone can just look over your shoulder and see what you are typing.

smoker
October 12th, 2008, 02:10 PM
depending on area there may be plenty of public wireless hotspots around! get in the car with a laptop!

lisati
October 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
depending on area there may be plenty of public wireless hotspots around! get in the car with a laptop!

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=91313&fm=newsmain,narts

jimi_hendrix
October 12th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Membership card, and you need to sign the register. And I don't know about yours, but my librarians know me on a first name basis. And I think that there are cameras there too.

well my library has computers in the basement where no one normally will go down to that are for use...no card needed

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Another thing to think about when using a computer that belongs to someone else is that they may have installed spyware to check on what you are doing and/or they may have Windows installed and accidentally have picked but some random spyware. If you worry about being traced, worry about having your passwords compromised too.

LinuX-M@n1@k
October 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Use a phone? :D

smoker
October 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=91313&fm=newsmain,narts

yes, that in your link would be illegal, i meant free public accessible hotspots:
http://www.myhotspots.co.uk/

plenty pubs, cafes, etc, have them now:)

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Use a phone? :D
Payphones are becoming really rare. The rest are easily identifiable.

ssam
October 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
get a fake passport, rent flat with false name, start bank account with false name, get ISP with false name, post message, burn down flat (to remove your DNA).

Slug71
October 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM
get a fake passport, rent flat with false name, start bank account with false name, get ISP with false name, post message, burn down flat (to remove your DNA).

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
That may work. Make sure not to leave any DNA or fingerprints behind. Or you could just do something a bit more reasonable and/or legal.

ratmandall
October 12th, 2008, 05:10 PM
HE ISN'T TRYING TO BAN THE INTERNET OR ANYTHING,

He just want's to post his love letters to a teacher anonymously.

lukjad
October 12th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Okay, I think we are going a wee bit off track here.

@OP

Make sure that whichever PC you are on allows you to delete the session cookies. Also, don't let any program remember the passwords. If you see a Google Toolbar, make sure it is not tracking your surfing. Uninstall it. If you have a Google search box, make sure to delete all of the search terms used. It will record them sepertately from the browser. Be wary of this.

tigrezno
October 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
after using TOR for a while, i find rather interesting the ridiculous number of sites running a ssl version.

many mail providers just don't have it, anybody can get your user/pass from your local network without problem.

another thing i don't understand is if cookies are readable too on exit nodes. If so, what a shame!

IMO any site that requires you to login should implement a ssl version, don't you think?

LaRoza
October 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
IMO any site that requires you to login should implement a ssl version, don't you think?

No.

tigrezno
October 12th, 2008, 06:57 PM
No.

would be nice hearing your arguments :)

LaRoza
October 12th, 2008, 08:26 PM
would be nice hearing your arguments :)

Simple, any rule that is non flexible is bad most of the time. (See, even this rule is flexible).

The amount of effort to get around security should be more expensive than it is worth. So if a safe has $10 in it, make it cost $11 to get it open. If invading a country would yield $1 000 000 000, make it cost $1 000 000 001 to successfully invade it.

The gains of getting around non SSL transfers can be low or great. For a bank or something, it is worth the effort to sniff and crack, so they use it because to get around SSL is "impossible". However, the gains of getting into, say UbuntuForums.org, would be very low and since it has never happened, despite the lack of SSL and the only account hijacks were of local computer variants, it isn't worth the effort.

aysiu
October 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Is it really that much effort to use SSL, though?

t0p
October 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM

is this possible today?

From the UK: Yes.

Buy a Pay As You Go (pre-pay) cellphone. Do not register it! Or, if you bought a phone that's tied to a network that requires registration (dumb move if you want anonymity), register a false name and address. Also get a USB cable for the phone, or a bluetooth dongle or the like.

Connect your phone to your computer. Follow the tutorial <plug>linked to in my sig</plug> to use the phone as a modem.

Install macchanger (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Networking/MAC-addresser-24640.shtml). Change the MAC address of your phone.

Now you can open a free email account (eg gmail). Use that to join a forum. And post *with anonymity*! Wooh!

tigrezno
October 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM

would be nice if apache, by default, adds a "https" handler to each website configured, so people that want some sort of protection can use it.

From the UK: Yes.

Buy a Pay As You Go (pre-pay) cellphone. Do not register it! Or, if you bought a phone that's tied to a network that requires registration (dumb move if you want anonymity), register a false name and address. Also get a USB cable for the phone, or a bluetooth dongle or the like.

Connect your phone to your computer. Follow the tutorial <plug>linked to in my sig</plug> to use the phone as a modem.

Install macchanger (http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Networking/MAC-addresser-24640.shtml). Change the MAC address of your phone.

Now you can open a free email account (eg gmail). Use that to join a forum. And post *with anonymity*! Wooh!

well, that's a lot of work for normal person. What I mean is that you needs good security knowledge to have it, and it shouldn't be that way.

t0p
October 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM
well, that's a lot of work for normal person. What I mean is that you needs good security knowledge to have it, and it shouldn't be that way.

It doesn't take good security knowledge. Everything I outlined can be done with a fairly reasonable understanding of linux/unix/bsd and a little security knowledge (eg knowing what a MAC address is... heavens, you don't even need to know how to spoof a MAC address, macchanger does it for you!) These really are simple steps, stuff I do fairly regularly.

Wintervenom
October 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Change MAC, get behind TOR and a chain of proxies and then run Firefox from RAM, and change MAC again?

#!/bin/sh
TMPFF="/dev/shm/ffss"
FFDIR="$HOME/.mozilla/firefox"
TMPIMG="bq1czjxh.SafeSession"

if ! [ -d $TMPFF/$TMPIMG ]; then
notify-send "Firefox Safesession" "Creating new session..."
mkdir $TMPFF
cp -a $FFDIR/$TMPIMG $TMPFF
else
notify-send "Firefox Safesession" "Continuing current session..."
fi

if [ -f $FFDIR/profiles.ini.orig ]; then
rm -f $FFDIR/profiles.ini
mv $FFDIR/profiles.ini.orig $FFDIR/profiles.ini
fi

mv $FFDIR/profiles.ini $FFDIR/profiles.ini.orig
echo "[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=$TMPFF/$TMPIMG
Default=1
" >> $FFDIR/profiles.ini

TZ=UTC firefox -no-remote

rm -f $FFDIR/profiles.ini
mv $FFDIR/profiles.ini.orig $FFDIR/profiles.ini

notify-send "Firefox Safesession" "Deleting session..."
rm -rf $TMPFF
notify-send "Firefox Safesession" "Done."

gjoellee
October 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
the government may ask some experts and thy can see everything that happens on the internet in the country. there is no way to hide! But for normal users like you and me (I mean users that don't know how to hack the pentagon) should not be able to find out who you are...

LaRoza
October 12th, 2008, 10:04 PM

Probably not. It isn't much trouble to keep all outside door locked in my house at all times, yet I don't. The risk isn't that high.

t0p
October 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
the government may ask some experts and thy can see everything that happens on the internet in the country. there is no way to hide! But for normal users like you and me (I mean users that don't know how to hack the pentagon) should not be able to find out who you are...

Governments may have a pretty long reach, but even they cannot change the laws of nature.

richg
October 13th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Why do you have to hide? Sounds like you are afraid of possible responses.

On second thought, you are bored and want to start a converstion, about anything. :)

Rich

lukjad
October 13th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Or maybe, he is a true geek and pursues knowledge for its own sake. Or he just wants to keep his geek friends at Ubuntuforums.org that he likes Windows Vista. ;)

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 12:31 AM

It could be an over estimation of what kind of information is out there.

By itself, the most you can really expose is your general location, and it would take some serious legal action to get anymore than that from the ISP. That is by itself.

If you want to have a site, you can do so with giving almost no information. pbwiki.com, wikidot.com, etc don't require much information (nothing you have to verify).

steveneddy
October 13th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Just go to a local library, give them an inaccurate name, and log in and go at it.

As long as it's nothing illegal, posting death threats or something, them I don't see the harm.

tigrezno
October 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM

On second thought, you are bored and want to start a converstion, about anything. :)

Rich

when you go to a local store and buy something with money, you're being anonimous, why can't it be the same on internet?

I don't want to hide anything but protect my rights.

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM
when you go to a local store and buy something with money, you're being anonimous, why can't it be the same on internet?

Yes, but you are on TV so to speak usually ;)

I don't want to hide anything but protect my rights.
What rights? Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness/land?

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Yes, but you are on TV so to speak usually ;)

That really depends on what store you are going to. There are a ton of Mom and Pop shops around here, where I live that have no sort of surveillance whatsoever. You come in, ask for your part, they walk you down the isle, pick up the part, you talk about it a minute, then walk up to the counter and pay for it in cash.

No one has asked for your name, it isn't required, nobody in the store that doesn't know you doesn't recognize you, no cameras, and you walk out anonymous. (Now that I just anonymously bought my 3" x 1 foot of metal pipe, with caps, I can begin building my pipe bomb.... just kidding :D)

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 02:13 PM
That really depends on what store you are going to. There are a ton of Mom and Pop shops around here, where I live that have no sort of surveillance whatsoever. You come in, ask for your part, they walk you down the isle, pick up the part, you talk about it a minute, then walk up to the counter and pay for it in cash.

Yes, but then they would know you right? Sort of defeats the purpose of being a ghost. "Did you get him on tape?" "No, but we know his name, address, and personal habits.".

No one has asked for your name, it isn't required, nobody in the store that doesn't know you doesn't recognize you, no cameras, and you walk out anonymous. (Now that I just anonymously bought my 3" x 1 foot of metal pipe, with caps, I can begin building my pipe bomb.... just kidding :D)

You forgot the end caps.

kevdog
October 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Quicksilver which uses the Mixmaster II protocol on a Windows machine is a great way to send anonymous email chaining it through the panta-rhei server. I haven't found an equivalent application in Linux however. Its painful to configure simply from the command line.

tigrezno
October 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
can a human version of tor be implemented?

for example, i need something.
i tell someone what i need.
that person tells another one what i need and buys it.
i don't know the last person but i get my goodies :)

Dr Small
October 13th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, but then they would know you right? Sort of defeats the purpose of being a ghost. "Did you get him on tape?" "No, but we know his name, address, and personal habits.".

These folks in my town wouldn't know me from Adam...

You forgot the end caps.

What?!

tigrezno
October 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
i'm rescueing this thread because i've found a recent article about anonymous proxies and their implications.

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1111563818;fp;4194304;fpid;1

Don1500
March 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM

Go sit any place with free wi-fi, use a pen drive to boot, don't mount you local drive. Don't save anything and burn the pen drive when you're done.

This along with Tor should keep you hidden.

If you want to go under the radar it can be done. ;)