PDA

View Full Version : Names that confuse websites and automated systems in real life

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Names that follow the common pattern of a [A-Z][a-z]* are common and usually don't have any issues. The rest of us, on the other hand, go through life with our names being mangled.

Now, there are those names which don't fit that pattern. They have spaces. Two or more capital letters. A lowercase initial letter. Apostrophe's and other symbols.

My name is like that. So, I get a lot of mail mis-spelling my name, websites that say my name is invalid, and other confusion.

We don't need to share names, but it may help the victims of the ever ending mis-spelled name to have a place to vote about it :-)

Poll is multi-choice.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I am not sure of what this question means exactly.

But if you are asking which part of the nick which servers tend to reject often it is in my case the:
The underscore (_)

(particularly I remember Google)

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I am not sure of what this question means exactly.

But if you are asking which part of the nick which servers tend to reject often it is in my case the:
The underscore (_)

(particularly I remember Google)

No, I mean real names.

In my real name, I get it rejected constantly and it is constantly mangled.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
No, I mean real names.

In my real name, I get it rejected constantly and it is constantly mangled.

In that sense my name is perfect in the web sense at least. :) (thank god they don't pronounce it)

But I have heard those having surname like O'Neill, their surnames are not accepted in websites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O'Neill

corney91
October 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM
My name is pretty generic (I think :p)

What does '[A-Za-Z]*' mean?

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 07:20 PM
What does '[A-Za-Z]*' mean?

Any letters upper or lower case for any length.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
...like the mandatory uppercase M, L and lowercase c in McLaren for instance.

corney91
October 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Any letters upper or lower case for any length.

...like the mandatory uppercase M and lowercase c in McLaren for instance.

Ah, ok. Cheers:)
I've gone for the top option then.

Kuroyume
October 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
In my country, we use two last names (father's last name + mother's last name), for a total of 4 names. I spent 3 seasons on a work program for college students in the US, and that lead to enormous amount of confusion... bank accounts in the wrong name, employee records on a different name... messy... until i learnt to just adopt the US convention (when in rome, do as the romans do i guess...)