PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Netflix

lsutiger
October 11th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I do not know how many of you subscribe to Netflicks. I do. There is an offer to watch movies on demand. The only problm is that you need to be using either Windows or a Mac.

There is a petition out there to make it also available to Linux users.
Here's the link
http://www.petitiononline.com/Linflix/petition.html

aysiu
October 11th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Actually, at this point, you need Windows.

Mac support is supposed to be on the way by the end of the year.

From the Netflix blog (http://blog.netflix.com/2008/10/new-content-to-watch-instantly.html):
And, for all of you Mac users (of which I am one) we’ve been busy working getting a solution that will allow you to watch instantly on your Mac. So hang in there - we’ll have something for you by the end of the year.

lsutiger
October 14th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Thanx for the input aysiu. I just thought it to be an honest attempt to have a large company recognize us in the Linux world.

S0VERE1GN
October 14th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I do not know how many of you subscribe to Netflicks. I do. There is an offer to watch movies on demand. The only problm is that you need to be using either Windows or a Mac.

Here's the link

signed :guitar:

david_lynch
October 14th, 2008, 04:17 AM

Here's the link

signed with comments -

koji042
October 14th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Signed.

G'luck. ^.^

Rebel Dragon
October 16th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Signed!

linuxuser12345
February 25th, 2012, 04:59 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/petitions/Linflix/signatures

neu5eeCh
February 25th, 2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/petitions/Linflix/signatures

Netflix has clearly stated that Linux is not on their radar. This is a waste of time. The only thing that is going to change Netflix's mind is competition. If someone in the Linux world were to offer a competing service (with DRM), and if that service dented Netflix'$ bottom line, then you might expect some results. Since that scenario is about as likely as a pig with wings, you can move on or stew. The choice is yours.:popcorn:

BeRoot ReBoot
February 25th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Internet petitions will never accomplish anything.

aysiu
February 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Merged.

As you can see, there's a petition from way back in 2008. It did nothing.

The only way (and this will never happen) that Linux users could influence Netflix is for them all to agree to boycott Netflix for the next five months to show Netflix how many Linux subscribers Netflix stands to lose.

This will never happen, though, as you can't get all Linux users to do this.

Also, I don't even know if the number of Linux users who have Netflix subscriptions (and would thus be eligible to boycott) would matter enough to Netflix's bottom line.

cariboo
February 25th, 2012, 06:04 PM
This is a four year old thread, closed before we get to many complaints.

Never mind, I did see aysiu's comment about merging threads.

DJ_Max
February 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
i've been using Netflix since it first came out. But i cant remember more than 1 occasion where i actually watched it on my computer. i've always used my playstation.

Merged.

As you can see, there's a petition from way back in 2008. It did nothing.

The only way (and this will never happen) that Linux users could influence Netflix is for them all to agree to boycott Netflix for the next five months to show Netflix how many Linux subscribers Netflix stands to lose.

This will never happen, though, as you can't get all Linux users to do this.

Also, I don't even know if the number of Linux users who have Netflix subscriptions (and would thus be eligible to boycott) would matter enough to Netflix's bottom line.

winh8r
February 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Nice to see that it is receiving some attention. Here in the UK , Netflix stopped support for Linux and Flash last year , the reason? They were told to by the big distributors in order to protect the copyrighted content.Basically , do what we say or we will not licence you to stream our content.

The only way to use Netflix here is to use Windows and Silverlight.

I realise that this is a sweeping statement but imagine if Netflix discriminated against ANY OTHER MINORITY GROUP in society, wouldn't there be an outcry?

Disgraceful behaviour by big corporations, trying to enforce the unenforceable.

Good Luck with the petition.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 25th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I couldn't sign that petition due to this statement, "It is also unfair that the only supported browser is Internet Explorer. Firefox has a considerable market share and is a viable alternative for Internet Explorer users."

When I did use Netflix, the Firefox browser actually worked better for me than Internet Explorer. For some reason it didn't buffer as often.

Before I will sign a petition the facts need to be correct.

CharlesA
February 26th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I couldn't sign that petition due to this statement, "It is also unfair that the only supported browser is Internet Explorer. Firefox has a considerable market share and is a viable alternative for Internet Explorer users."

When I did use Netflix, the Firefox browser actually worked better for me than Internet Explorer. For some reason it didn't buffer as often.

Before I will sign a petition the facts need to be correct.
That's funny. I use firefox for netflix all the time.

SemiExpert
February 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM
There's Silverlight support for OS X and Windows, and Netflix apparently has Android and iOS apps. I think we can all understand that Microsoft is calling the shots with Silverlight. As far as the lack of Linux support, it doesn't come as a huge surprise, although it is a huge disappointment. I don't know whether the Netflix Android app will stream through either running Android in VirtualBox or the Android SDK? I also don't have any experience with x86 Android? Personally, I think the choice for streaming Netflix over an x86 PC comes down to Windows or OS X. Somebody, anybody, prove me wrong!

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 26th, 2012, 01:02 AM
That's funny. I use firefox for netflix all the time.

Yeah. If a company actually reads a petition and finds that the facts presented in the argument are not accurate; then it would not surprise me if they dismiss it as fanboy rants. ;)

speedwell68
February 26th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Is this really a big deal. I have just looked at Netflix and the choice they have is poor, quite frankly.

jasonrisenburg
February 26th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Netflix has clearly stated that Linux is not on their radar. This is a waste of time. The only thing that is going to change Netflix's mind is competition. If someone in the Linux world were to offer a competing service (with DRM), and if that service dented Netflix'$ bottom line, then you might expect some results. Since that scenario is about as likely as a pig with wings, you can move on or stew. The choice is yours.:popcorn:

To be totally honest I do not care if it is Netflix or Blockbuster or red box. I just want a service similar to Netflix, for me to waste my money on. Any others out there know of a company like Netflix, that might be interested?

neu5eeCh
February 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Is this really a big deal. I have just looked at Netflix and the choice they have is poor, quite frankly.

I watch Netflix with my kids on the Win7 partition. And... you're right. The choice, let's be frank, sucks -- especially for kids. They have a small handful, literally, of classic, good movies, and all the rest, dozens and dozens, are junk cartoons. The only reason I don't unsubscribe is because they *do* have a reasonable selection of documentaries for kids.

cprofitt
February 26th, 2012, 04:03 PM
If Netflix can work on Android it can work on Linux. It would seem that Netflix could make an 'app' for Linux -- it might end up being a proprietary blob like flash, but it could be done.

CharlesA
February 26th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I watch Netflix with my kids on the Win7 partition. And... you're right. The choice, let's be frank, sucks -- especially for kids. They have a small handful, literally, of classic, good movies, and all the rest, dozens and dozens, are junk cartoons. The only reason I don't unsubscribe is because they *do* have a reasonable selection of documentaries for kids.
I've noticed that too, but most of the time it's the whole "We have the sequel on instant, but you can only get the first one on dvd" that gets on my nerves.

At least they don't do that for tv shows.

inobe
February 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Internet petitions will never accomplish anything.

especially when they require a fakebook account.

neu5eeCh
February 26th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I've noticed that too, but most of the time it's the whole "We have the sequel on instant, but you can only get the first one on dvd" that gets on my nerves...

I noticed that too. I was going to mention it. I'm guessing that's not altogether Netflix's fault. I'm sure the studios have their fingers in that pie. They all know the sequels (like Jungle Book 2) are half-baked money grabbing garbage, so who cares anyway. By the way, I tried to watch the new Puss in Boots last night (with William Shatner). We all made it about 3 minutes into the movie. Even the kids were horrified. Where do they come up with this --> Crap <-- ?!?

You really do have to watch the first few minutes just to appreciate just how bad computer animation can be, let alone the badness of the dialogue, the badness of the characterization, and, in short, everything...

CharlesA
February 26th, 2012, 06:13 PM
If it's the Puss in Boots, I'm thinking of, Antonio Banderas did the voice of Puss. I thought it was pretty good, but I saw it in the theater. ;)

neu5eeCh
February 26th, 2012, 06:27 PM
If it's the Puss in Boots, I'm thinking of, Antonio Banderas did the voice of Puss. I thought it was pretty good, but I saw it in the theater. ;)

Here's (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_True_Story_of_Puss_n_Boots/70202334?trkid=2361637) the movie. "The True Story of Puss 'n Boots." Here are just some of the reivews:

"This is not a very good story of Puss in Boots at all."
"OMG - what a piece of feces!"
"Holy Shatner, this movie is bad!"
"This was the creepiest and worst animated i have EVER seen!!!"
"This movie was an absolute waste of time and money, it should have never been created!!!!"
"I don't even know where to begin."
"Really, really, really bad. I cannot impress to you just how awful this is."
" 13, 16 and 6 yrs old. they quit 13 min into it. said it was terrible"
"this movie will burn your eyes."
"Well, we made it 13:38 before we couldn't handle it anymore. Beat that!"
"Seriously its lucky i gave it one star..."
"This is a really really really stupid movie! I am 10 years old..."
"The makers of this movie had to be stoned at all times."

Etc...

And these are all different reviewers.

I mean, doesn't this just make you want to see the first two minutes? There's something incredibly creepy about the animation and the movie itself is... words don't describe it - worse than water-boarding.

CharlesA
February 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Wow, that's terribad.

The one I was thinking of was the 2011 one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448694/

DJ_Max
February 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
If Netflix can work on Android it can work on Linux. It would seem that Netflix could make an 'app' for Linux -- it might end up being a proprietary blob like flash, but it could be done.
Actually anyone could make a netflix app, they have an API. http://developer.netflix.com/

LowSky
February 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Actually anyone could make a netflix app, they have an API. http://developer.netflix.com/

Anyone know what the Android App is running video with. It can't be Flash or Silverlight unless they are baked in. I can't see how turning the android apk into a usable Linux desktop app can be that hard. Or am I completed losing my marbles?

DJ_Max
February 29th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Anyone know what the Android App is running video with. It can't be Flash or Silverlight unless they are baked in. I can't see how turning the android apk into a usable Linux desktop app can be that hard. Or am I completed losing my marbles?
http://benjaminkerensa.com/2011/07/30/netflix-instant-is-coming-to-the-entire-linux-community
Apparently the Netflix developers are Linux users and are working on brining Netflix to Linux.

I think the PlayReady DRM Netflix uses pose a bigger issue than flash or silverlight. since silverlight is only used as an interface for the web browser to stream movies and not used anywhere else. Remember, the Roku Media Center (http://roku.com) streams netflix and is Linux based, same with the Android devices

swright007
February 29th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Yes. It would be amazing if I didn't have to have a Windows computer or my Iphone to watch Netflix. Yes, please do offer it to Linux