PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Virtual Server

Kernel Sanders
October 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
As some of you might remember, I was recently asking for opinions on whether I should use a free Google hosted blogger blog, a free automattic wordpress.com hosted blog, or download the wordpress software myself and use my virtual server.

You all voted for me to download the wordpress software myself and use my virtual server by a country mile, so I did! :p

The specs of my virtual server with GoDaddy are as follows:

Fedora Core 7
256mb Ram
10GB Hard Drive
500GB Per Month bandwidth

Everything seems to be set up ok, but my Virtual Server seems tempremental? As in, about half the time the pages will load in a second, and the other half of the time pages will take as long as 15 seconds to render the page?

Given that it's just me browsing at the moment (my blog hasn't even been indexed by google yet) i'm concerned as to whether my Virtual Server is good enough to run my blog without most/all visitors experiencing page load times of around 10 seconds or so?

In comparison, automattic wordpress.com hosted blogs ALWAYS load in under a second :(

So what do you all think? Is what i'm experiencing normal for a virtual server, and are the occasional 10 second load times not that bad anyway? I'm wondering whether I am expecting too much, or being overly critical of my Virtual Server?

Any thoughts are much appreciated :KS

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
You brought a Virtual Server?

Virtual Dedicated Server: dividing a server into virtual servers, where each user feels like they're on their own dedicated server, but they're actually sharing a server with many other users. The users may have root access to their own virtual space. This is also known as a virtual private server or VPS.

Now I hope you use it for more than just hosting your blog since they are pricey. If you are using it for just hosting your blog, it's far more than what you need and thus waste of money.
If you had not already taken hosting I would have recommended a Shared Web Hosting.

I am not sure it why it offers slowdown at times, maybe there is maintenace or something. If it is slow enough so frequently that it'll bother your visitors than contact your service provider.

hessiess
October 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
unless your blog becomes __verry__ popular, you will barily be using the server.