PDA

View Full Version : So my iPod broke...

TheSlipstream
October 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
...about four weeks after the years warranty finished. Second Gen Nano, somehow the thing seems to think the screen should be locked even when the hold isn't saying it should, assuming a fuse has stuffed up somewhere.

I am utterly disgusted, I've never owned a tech product that's costed over two hundred dollars and broken in a year. My three year old mobile phone, a Sony Ericsson, was recently retired, and cost seventy dollars from the start, and experienced frequent bumps and drops.

Was my iPod engineered to break? I've heard many stories about these sorts of things. Needless to say, any urge to buy a Fourth gen has been VETO'd, I won't pay three hundred bucks for a year of iPod owning. Is this in all Apple products, or just the ones that stupid, unquestioning kids buy to look cool, and replace on breaking?

This is a pathetically low business practice if it's intentional, and with proof, a class action lawsuit could be created against Apple, no doubt.

rax_m
October 11th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I would take it back to the apple store or contact apple directly. Some reputable companies will still at least compensate or repair it free since it's onl a few weeks ater the warranty.

I definitely believe that many products are engineered to break after a set period. It allows manufacturer to keep costs down.
But one year is ridiculous!!

Apple would run out of business if all the cool people had ipods that didn't break ;)

TheSlipstream
October 11th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I would take it back to the apple store or contact apple directly. Some reputable companies will still at least compensate or repair it free since it's onl a few weeks ater the warranty.

I wish I could, but I don't have the receipt. I can't prove it isn't two years old or anything. Looking at it, I really am very disappointed. I can't even find more then a couple of tiny scratches on the screen -- it's in great shape on the outside. My mobile took tons of damage and stayed alive to this day, this thing can't even handle normal, if even more delicate usage.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
October 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Second Gen Nano, somehow the thing seems to think the screen should be locked even when the hold isn't saying it should, assuming a fuse has stuffed up somewhere.

Hi TheSlipstream, mine did that too, I have unlocked it using the reset thing (holding the center and the menu or pause button together from some seconds).

Now I'm not touching the lock button ever again but use the software lock instead (can be added to the main menu in the ipod's settings menu).

And I'm not buying any apple product ever again, I don't trust apple. The damn thing won't even play ogg files.

dfreer
October 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I wish I could, but I don't have the receipt. I can't prove it isn't two years old or anything. Looking at it, I really am very disappointed. I can't even find more then a couple of tiny scratches on the screen -- it's in great shape on the outside. My mobile took tons of damage and stayed alive to this day, this thing can't even handle normal, if even more delicate usage.

I do believe that they track warranty info through the iPod Serial Number. You may not need the original reciept unless you are taking it back to a 3rd-party (Radioshack, Wal-Mart, etc).

Try contacting Apply directly with your problems, they may work something out with you.

Giant Speck
October 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
My 5th Generation 30GB iPod is still going strong. I bought it about eight months ago, and nothing bad has happened to it.

And I bought it on eBay for $125. :)

And if you're really that upset about it not playing .ogg files, you can install RockBox onto it.

TheSlipstream
October 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
It unlocked, then relocked, then unlocked and so on. I'll probably take this thing to an Apple store and get them to fix it, unless the price is over thirty dollars. No way are they profiting off making inferior products from me.

blakjesus
October 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Im sorry to hear about what happened to your ipod, but i dont think this is an issue with all apple products. I have a 1st gen nano that has worked fine for about 3 years. :mrgreen: Not a single problem. I have even accidentally washed it twice and after about a day of panicking, it would just turn itself back on and keep on going. :guitar: