PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] This Bites. Need Help. Creating Folder

stepbystep
October 11th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Was told to follow steps to help with firefox (update). Ended up wiping out all my personal folders.

I still can't watch youtube videos.

How do I create folders so that they don't all go to the desktop?

I click places, homefolder, but everytime I create a folder it shows up on the desktop as well.:confused:

lisati
October 11th, 2008, 03:01 AM
From the "places" menu, you can open up your Home folder and make new folders there.

iaculallad
October 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM
To disable your home folder from displaying in your Desktop, Press Alt+F2 and input 'gconf-editor' (w/o quote). Navigate to apps->nautilus->preferences, on the right-side window pane, look for desktop_is_home_dir and uncheck it. Close the configuration window editor.

stepbystep
October 11th, 2008, 03:08 AM
when I go to places, then Home folder, it keeps showing up on the desktop as well. When I try and delete from desktop, it deletes from home as well.

stepbystep
October 11th, 2008, 03:16 AM
to the right of it the box is unchecked but it keeps comning up on desktop? the Box is unchecked.

stepbystep
October 11th, 2008, 03:16 AM
To disable your home folder from displaying in your Desktop, Press Alt+F2 and input 'gconf-editor' (w/o quote). Navigate to apps->nautilus->preferences, on the right-side window pane, look for desktop_is_home_dir and uncheck it. Close the configuration window editor.
to the right of it the box is unchecked but it keeps comming up on desktop? the Box is unchecked.

stepbystep
October 11th, 2008, 03:32 AM

going to restart my computer as unticking the box has done nothing yet to change away from desktop.Here hoping:o)

stepbystep
October 11th, 2008, 03:37 AM
This has not worked. By unticking the box, folders still end up on the desktop.:confused:window now comes up with alot of files in it.

adanaxix
adobe
gnome

I suspect may be the programme files.

Just want to add a music folder
picture folder
documents folder

stepbystep
October 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Reinstall operating system again for the 4th time.:guitar: