PDA

View Full Version : What makes a computer slow?

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I've been wondering this for a while. I mean usually every 1-2 years, most people will get a new computer because the one they have now is going slow. I want to know what causes this? Dust on the Motherboard?

P.S. I got a good midterm today for the 1st quarter.

OutOfReach
October 11th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Dust on the motherboard, fan, hard drives, etc sometimes does have an impact on the overall system performance. Moving the computer (desktops) alot can also mess up some parts, not deadly, but definately enough to slow down the system.

But mostly, hardware is usually not the problem. It is usually the operating system. For example in Windows you have to defrag every other day and you have to watch out for viruses. Most average people don't know how to take care of this so that's why they think the computer (the actual computer) is slower. So they get another one...

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I know. When I installed Ubuntu on my 3 year old desktop computer it was running a lot quicker. Anyone who can get in and clean those computer parts are lucky.

ChanServ
October 11th, 2008, 02:51 AM
tempeture, OS, proccesses. there are a lot of things which can limit a computer. mostly the Operating system though.

brunovecchi
October 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
When massive switches from version X of a popular program to version X+1 happen with a concomitant increase in hardware specs (specially RAM), people tend to be forced to upgrade.
This wouldn't happen with open format-friendly software, of course.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Now I am really thinking the OS is doing this.(By OS I mean about Windows...) I mean think about it. Installing programs in Windows just clutters it up. It also makes the startup take some time.

lisati
October 11th, 2008, 02:59 AM
When massive switches from version X of a popular program to version X+1 happen with a concomitant increase in hardware specs (specially RAM), people tend to be forced to upgrade.
Even just getting basic internet access required an upgrade for some of us. Two dektops prior to the one I currently use, I needed an upgrade from a'286-based machine to a "'386 or better" (turned out to be a Pentium) to get connected. (If I'd known what I was doing, a hack might have been possible)

snova
October 11th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Somebody at a local computer repair showed me a program on Windows when he was trying to fix things. It's "msconfig", and a few tabs to the right you can adjust the things to start automatically.

It didn't do any good in my case, but that little program could do a lot of things. It's right up there with Kill Process on the task manager. :)

Moustacha
October 11th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Now I am really thinking the OS is doing this.(By OS I mean about Windows...) I mean think about it. Installing programs in Windows just clutters it up. It also makes the startup take some time.

Hence why people re-format their windows pcs every 6 months if they're anal.
If you haven't noticed, when you install the graphics drivers on XP boot-up takes an age longer.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Somebody at a local computer repair showed me a program on Windows when he was trying to fix things. It's "msconfig", and a few tabs to the right you can adjust the things to start automatically.
I remember that program. That helped a lot with my laptop's Vista install.

If you haven't noticed, when you install the graphics drivers on XP boot-up takes an age longer.
I formated my computer with Windows XP twice before I installed Ubuntu because of its slowness.

init1
October 11th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Heh, I can't think of a Linux install on my computer that has lasted anywhere even close to 6 months :D

cariboo
October 11th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I don't really think computers get slower overtime, it is out perception of how fast it is changes over time. I have a 1Ghz 64bit Athlon that I feel runs better now then it did when it was new, mind you I've added another 256Mb ram and a new 10/100/1000Ghz network card and am running the server version on it, but does run way better than it did with Windows XP on it.

Jim

djsroknrol
October 11th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Everyone talks or blames hardware and software...could it also be possible that the user has, over time, become more adept at using the computer that it becomes "slow" to them as well?

EDIT: someone beat me to my thought...drat...

talsemgeest
October 11th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I'm lucky if my windows install lasts more than 2 weeks...

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Lol.

If I knew about Ubuntu when I was running Windows, It would be the same for me.

Shippou
October 11th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I do think that slow is a relative term... As said by cariboo907, people maybe are used to them so they feel slow.

However, these usually the things that make a computer slower (IMO):

1. Programs, especially CPU- and RAM-intensive ones.
2. OS. Anyway, this is basically what the user sees and manipulate directly, right?
3. Games. This one deserve special mention, because games requirements are usually the ones that drive hardware specs up in the marketplace.
4. Old hardware. Generally, old hardware is slower than new ones.
5. General programs or general hardware. What I mean here is, for example, using the CPU instead of the video card to process graphics.
6. Autoloading and running processes.
7. Dust, temperature, etc.
8. Natural wear and tear.
9. User perception.
10.Technological advances.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I do think that slow is a relative term... As said by cariboo907, people maybe are used to them so they feel slow.

2. OS. Anyway, this is basically what the user sees and manipulate directly, right?
3. Games. This one deserve special mention, because games requirements are usually the ones that drive hardware specs up in the marketplace.
5. General programs or general hardware. What I mean here is, for example, using the CPU instead of the video card to process graphics.
9. User perception.
Pretty much all the good reasons.

lavinog
October 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM

It didn't do any good in my case, but that little program could do a lot of things. It's right up there with Kill Process on the task manager. :)

sysinternals: autoruns is an advanced version of msconfig in a sense that it allows you to turn off/on just about anything.

process explorer is a more detailed task manager too.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

The programs don't need to be installed either so they won't contribute to the bloat.

I usually tell people to use these two programs when they get adware/viruses that can't be removed by a virus scanner...for the most part it doesn't disable most viruses completely, but it does minimize their effect enough to where people can use their computer without any weirdness.

Linuturk
October 11th, 2008, 07:30 AM
swap/pagefile usage will really slow you down. Get more RAM!

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I remember I used to reinstall Windows every month or so and sometimes even within few days.
However the longest lasting Windows installation was of about 8 months, those months when I used Ubuntu as my primary OS.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Even old computers can be made to run quite fast. (for people like me, that means cheap computers that you easily fix up to be faster than modern computers with Vista and sell).

For the average PC, it gets slower because of Windows. Windows slows down drastically. The default OEM configurations with their trial-ware and anti-virus, etc makes this much worse. The average user typically gets a few things which slow it down even more.

SunnyRabbiera
October 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Even old computers can be made to run quite fast. (for people like me, that means cheap computers that you easily fix up to be faster than modern computers with Vista and sell).

For the average PC, it gets slower because of Windows. Windows slows down drastically. The default OEM configurations with their trial-ware and anti-virus, etc makes this much worse. The average user typically gets a few things which slow it down even more.

yes but this trend seems to be invading linux too, with compiz becoming more popular and more graphical fancy stuff I have seen linux slow down over time too.
Ubuntu has done this to me.

brunovecchi
October 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
yes but this trend seems to be invading linux too, with compiz becoming more popular and more graphical fancy stuff I have seen linux slow down over time too.

Really? In what time scale? I have ran Ubuntu for over 9 months and didn't notice any slow downs.

K.Mandla
October 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Dust on the motherboard, fan, hard drives, etc sometimes does have an impact on the overall system performance. Moving the computer (desktops) alot can also mess up some parts, not deadly, but definately enough to slow down the system.
True. Dirty computers suffer. And what was that old Mac that had heat problems that would cause the memory to shift out of the board? and the solution was to pick it up and drop it on the desktop to reseat the chips? Or is that an urban myth?

But mostly, hardware is usually not the problem. It is usually the operating system.
Big +1.

Or when Ballmer needs a new car. Suddenly your computer gets slooower. ...

Pfft. I was a once-a-week rebuilder. But I could also tell the difference between a pure Windows installation and one that had gotten system updates or service packs. Funny how software upgrades made my computer slower and slower and slower until ... Ballmer must need a new car. ...

I'd buy that. People say, "You know, I'm tired of this old computer. And it's getting so slow." I've seen that happen in offices a lot.

9. User perception.
Good list.

Possibly, if we're talking about default desktop environments. I'd agree that the pure Dapper desktop was faster than the Hardy one, but you do have the option to prune away at a Linux system until you get some speed out of it.

nick09
October 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I know. When I installed Ubuntu on my 3 year old desktop computer it was running a lot quicker. Anyone who can get in and clean those computer parts are lucky.

A can of air and cable ties are real useful when you want to keep things tidy and clean. I took a can of air and after I cleaned the PC the CPU temperature went down from 88F to 75F in Ubuntu.

I know what else needs a clean up, my files.:lolflag:

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 03:22 PM

You have other distros like Xubuntu. Switching from Ubuntu to Xubuntu would barely decrease productivity and would roll even in older PCs.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I will need to become older before I can clean out everything in the computer:(

nick09
October 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Ask your dad for help. I bet he will assist you when you need help when you ask for it.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Ask your dad for help. I bet he will assist you when you need help when you ask for it.
I guess I will.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM

No you dont. Only be more careful.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Well, distros, not Linux.

Linux itself is quite light.

I don't use any of that stuff though.

nick09
October 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I guess I will.

Don't let the insides of your computer scare you. Its pretty much powerless when the cables on the outside are unplugged. Check the computer manual on opening the case and if you don't have the manual google "(insert case brand, model, and number here) manual".

Its not that hard it just takes a little courage.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Advise: Wear an anti-static strap across your arm or at least a rubber slipper while operating the insides your PC.

LaRoza
October 11th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Don't let the insides of your computer scare you. Its pretty much powerless when the cables on the outside are unplugged. Check the computer manual on opening the case and if you don't have the manual google "(insert case brand, model, and number here) manual".

Its not that hard it just takes a little courage.

And don't do anything if you don't know what you are doing.

The insides of the computer are harmless to you, but you can be quite harmful to them.

The powersupply (big box screwed to the inside of the case) is the only dangerous part. Never disassemble it or try to.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
No you dont. Only be more careful.
I thought I had to. I am only 9. And I know I would need to be really careful.

Canis familiaris
October 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I thought I had to. I am only 9. And I know I would need to be really careful.

Start with the trivial part of cleaning the PC. i.e. the sides of the cabinet, the cabinet fans, RAM chips,etc. I wouldn't suggest that you to open the CPU heatsink and NOT the power supply. Not because of age but due to lack of experience.

nick09
October 11th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Yes age does not matter as long as you can do it and leave the disassembly of the CPU and the power supply(the little brick on the top or bottom of the case) alone for now as you will have to gather more experience for that. You could even find a class to teach you the basics of the personal computer and how to assemble and disassemble A CPU and its heat sink.

Also use the can of air to clean the ports(like usb) and that will help the computer to run a little faster.

niccholaspage
October 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I can tell you guys I touched a RAM Stick before so I know I can harm it and took out my laptops battery. I never actually opened up my system. I will need to check my laptop's manual.

talsemgeest
October 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I can tell you guys I touched a RAM Stick before so I know I can harm it and took out my laptops battery. I never actually opened up my system. I will need to check my laptop's manual.
Just make sure that if you don't have an anti-static wrist strap, that you periodically touch an unpainted part of your case. That reduces the risk of damaging parts by your static discharge.

niccholaspage
October 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Ok, Thanks!

bigbear2350
October 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
umm solder can be harmful i think even when it is dry on the mainboard.