PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Car radio station pre set question!

Rytron
October 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hi,
I have a car radio station pre set question!
In my relatives car I pre set the radio stations (6 buttons to store the channels), that works fine.

Problem is though - every time the car is turned off and turned back on again - I have to pre set all the stations again - very annoying.

Has anyone any idea on how to permanently get the car radio to remember the pre set stations?

Thanks.

hellion0
October 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Does anything else reset, like the clock? (Assuming it has one independant of the radio, that is. Most recent ones do.)

Is it an aftermarket radio? If it's not wired properly, it won't receive enough power when shut off to retain presets. Check the manual, as well as your car's own wiring. Alternately, you could wire it straight to the battery instead of running through the fusebox. (I don't advise it, though...)

And if it's neither of those, check your battery terminals. There might be a bad connection.

fatality_uk
October 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
http://www.kawaiispace.com/gfx/albums/comment/30557_RTFM.jpg

:D But do dig out your cars manual or check on the companies web site. Sure it will tell you there.

ronnielsen1
October 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
You have 2 power wires, one is for memory and that needs to be hot all the time. The other hot wire should come on when you turn the key on

mips
October 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
You have 2 power wires, one is for memory and that needs to be hot all the time. The other hot wire should come on when you turn the key on

What he says!

Rytron
October 10th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys for all your replies. I will follow your advice.
Just an extra point - the radio is removed when the car is parked up. However I once before let the radio in, turned the car off and then on again later and it still lost its pre set stations.

Does it matter whether the radio is always put into the glove compartment when the car is parked up or should the radio be always connected to the car?

Anduu
October 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Thanks guys for all your replies. I will follow your advice.
Just an extra point - the radio is removed when the car is parked up. However I once before let the radio in, turned the car off and then on again later and it still lost its pre set stations.

Does it matter whether the radio is always put into the glove compartment when the car is parked up or should the radio be always connected to the car?

See if you can find the manual for the radio online.

I would assume that since it is removable it should have some type of battery to save all the settings while it isn't attached to the car.

Perhaps the backup battery is toast or as ronnielsen1 mentioned it is not connected properly to a constant hot lead.