PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Shortcuts gone in KDE4? + KDE-daemon crashes.

ProbablyX
October 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hello!

All of my desktop shortcuts seem to have stopped working, for instance I cant alt+f4 to close programs!

Also when I start up the KDE daemon "kded4" crashes (I get a message about it). I cant launch programs with shortcuts either, like F12 for yakuake; and I cant alt+tab!

Any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks!

PS: If I start "kded4" from a terminal I get this, though this comes up (and causes the kaded4 to quit) only after I press Ctrl+tab:

kded(13200) Solid::Control::ManagerBasePrivate::loadBackend: Backend loaded: "Nätverkshantering"
ASSERT: "d->keyToAction.value(key) == ad" in file /build/buildd/kde4libs-4.1.2/kdeui/shortcuts/kdedglobalaccel.cpp, line 412
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kded4 path = <unknown> pid = 13200
sock_file=/home/bjorn/.kde4/socket-bjorns-dator/kdeinit4__0
kded(13199): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"

kded(13206) Solid::Control::ManagerBasePrivate::loadBackend: Backend loaded: "Nätverkshantering"
ASSERT: "d->keyToAction.value(key) == ad" in file /build/buildd/kde4libs-4.1.2/kdeui/shortcuts/kdedglobalaccel.cpp, line 412
kded(13204): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files" "

the "Nätverkshantering" part means Network management above.

Thanks

GeneralZod
October 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
This is a very severe bug that managed to creep in to 4.1.2:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171870

It's been (retroactively!) marked as a showstopper for 4.1.2 and David Faure has called for an early 4.1.3 release for it. In the meantime, distros will hopefully patch it themselves and offer updates.

lodp
October 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I'm also missing some of my keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+K for starting Konsole hurts the most). I tried re-assigning the shortcut via kmenuedit (which incidentally can't be started by right-clicking the respective kmenu item), and in the system settings (both thru Keyboard&Mouse as well as Advanced> Input Actions.

So .. since this has been recognized as a major thing -- can we expect a quick fix for this? what do you think?

GeneralZod
October 13th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm also missing some of my keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl+K for starting Konsole hurts the most). I tried re-assigning the shortcut via kmenuedit (which incidentally can't be started by right-clicking the respective kmenu item), and in the system settings (both thru Keyboard&Mouse as well as Advanced> Input Actions.

So .. since this has been recognized as a major thing -- can we expect a quick fix for this? what do you think?

The "launch apps with a shortcut" feature is fixed in trunk, but I'd be fairly surprised if it were backported - the whole "shortcuts" portion of KDE4 seems to be pretty hairy :/

ProbablyX
October 17th, 2008, 06:20 PM
The deal is simple - DONT USE AMAROK!

If you stop amarok, and run "kded4" or just avoid starting it at boot, the errors disapperar :)

lodp
October 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM
i don't use amarok at all, but i still can't start apps with a keyboard shortcut..

JulianLx
October 20th, 2008, 11:22 AM
The deal is simple - DONT USE AMAROK!

If you stop amarok, and run "kded4" or just avoid starting it at boot, the errors disapperar :)

I also had porblems with KDE-daemon and it did the job for me.

Thanks!!

Julian

tarahmarie
October 22nd, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have the exact same problem. I also start Amarok at startup. This is a big problem.

pebo
October 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
There have been a few users reporting that kded4 crashes when starting
Amarok 2. This is caused by conflicting global shortcuts with the same
shortcut sequence, and has been fixed in KDE 4 trunk

there is a fix for this here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=amarok&m=122312836413611&w=2
at least it worked for me...

tarahmarie
October 23rd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Pebo's fix worked like a charm.

ksamanta
October 31st, 2008, 07:23 PM
I upgraded to Intrepid yesterday and my KDE 3.5.9 was replaced by 4.1.2. It looks very shiny, but where are my custom keybindings??? I checked in the launcher that all the custom shortcuts are there in the menu editor, but they just don't seem to work. I have both kded and kded4 running. I have amarok installed but it does not set to run at startup. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I had to restart the kded4 in order to get rid of irritating screen flickering (after restarting kded4, the flickering was gone!).The original (not custom) keybindings, e.g. Alt+F2, Alt+F4, etc still work.