PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Input/Output error, Ubuntu 8.04.1

praxis1949
October 10th, 2008, 03:40 PM
First, I love Ubuntu (in general), especially when I compare it to Vista. I had it installed in dual mode, and running fine on an older machine (an IDE 40 gig hard drive, 512 Meg memory), but I was having trouble with a Ubuntu Tomcat install (another, long story: the Ubuntu install is problematic).

I tried my original Ubuntu CD, and got the input/output error (err5) after about 40% was installed. Made two new CDs with ISOs using different sites. Both check out with checksums (MDsum). According to two other computers, there is no problem with the disks (using the Ubuntu disk check function). But, on my Ubuntu computer, it always says 6 or 7 errors. However, I am capable of reinstalling Windows 2000 on the machine using the same CD-DVD player.

If the Ubuntu utility is correct, there are only two possible problems: the CD player and/or the RAM (one Ubuntu post mentioned possible RAM problems).

I am loath to buy a new CD player if it is in fact unnecessary (as I watch the Stock market crash). Any ideas, or similar experience? Is the Ubuntu disk check utility usually accurate? Is the Ubuntu RAM check utility accurate, and would it catch all RAM probloems?

Regards

John S (Gatineau, Quebec, Canada)

[SOLVED] It was the CD player I guess. I replaced my CD-DVD with a 1991 used ($4.00) CD player. After cleaning it(didn't work at first), it mounted the original disk. Can't believe how much noise it made working; stopping and starting, etc. I have a feeling that the original CD -- DVD player is OK, but there was in fact some weird speed issue with the CD-DVD play (caching problem??].

Now on to Tomcat!