PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] System back up

Dyffo
October 10th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have Ubuntu Hardy, and am going to upgrade to Intrepid, before doing this I would like a back up of my files - is there a simple way of doing this.I tried to install "backuppc" but this requires "apache" w2hich I can't find anywhere. I aqm particularly concerned about losing my Virtual Box and the associated data. If I could just back this up alone it would be O.K

Rocket2DMn
October 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Moved to Installations & Upgrades - please don't post support questions in the Tutorials & Tips forum. Threads there require staff approval and are for Guides and HowTos old.

Remember that Intrepid is still a development release and subject to breakage. If you are running Ubuntu IN vbox, then I wouldn't upgrade, since afaik, Intrepid still doesn't work in vbox.

I use Simple Backup (sbackup) to make backups of my system. The biggest thing I have against it is that it compresses the backups with gzip, which means it's not as feasible for large backups, esp. when most of your stuff is already in a compressed format like images, videos, and music are.

Pumalite
October 10th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Use Clonezilla:
http://clonezilla.org/

WWSmith36
October 10th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Iīm a big fan of disk imaging for system backup. The only problem is you canīt run it on a mounted partition.

I run it from LiveCD.
First I enable universe repository.
Then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install partimage

partimage

Hope this helps

Dyffo
October 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi thanks - I used "sbackup" seems to be fine. I had a look at "clonezilla", my problem is that I don't have a high capacity USB facility, and cd's are not an option !. Also had a look at " keep" but in the end decided on "sbackup".
I will now go for the Intrepid upgrade. This is not in vbox but on my main system. I only use vbox for Windows as a last resort !!!

P.S Sorry about the incorrect posting - I just noted the "How To" and thought that's for me !!