PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu 8.04 Package Support

keenboy
October 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hello,

Can somebody tell me when Kubuntu 8.04 LTS packages will no longer be supported? I read somewhere that Kubuntu 8.04 is supported until 2009. If this is the case does this mean that apt will struggle to update or install new packages unless the whole distribution is up to date with the next release?

I already had my fingers burnt slightly when I installed a network of 6.10 machines. Only to find that 18 months later installing another batch was tricky. I don't want to make that same error this time.

Also.....

Would making my own 8.04 apt repository allow me to deploy another batch of 8.04 machines after the discontinue date has passed?

Thanks

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Well actually because Kubuntu is based on Hardy tit will be supported till 2011.
its the Kubuntu's team that decided to make Kubuntu hardy a non LTS release, but because it shares the same repositories as hardy it can probably last till hardy is out of support.
If Kubuntu hardy wasnt based on KDE4 it would have been LTS.

keenboy
October 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks.

But isn't there two options when downloading Kubuntu Hardy? One is kde3 the other kde4. It would be nice to give the same LTS as ubuntu but like you say they share the same repositories so it doesn't make a huge deal of difference.