PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Want to know if it will work on my computer?

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Hey guys i'm looking to download ubuntu
Heres my Laptop's Syestem Information

Windows Xp Home SP3
Genuine Intel CPU (Centrino Duo)
T2300 @ 1.66GHz
1.66 GHz, 1.99 GB RAM
I dont know how to find out what graphics card i have, i dont know if it matters?

my c drive is ntfs, capacity 64.92 GB free space 51% (33.5 GB)
MY D RIVE (RECOVERY) IS fat32, capacity 8.59 GB free space 13% (1.18 GB)

Can I keep XP and also have duel boot Ubuntu with my above stats?

iaculallad
October 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Yes, Ubuntu can be installed on that system. Install it on drive D so as to retain your ******* XP.

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
ok, cool, now that i know it will work. i have a few other questions. I am absoultely new to ubuntu. Youtube videos sparked my interest. First of all i hate how slow windows is, the lack of eye candy, and the viruses, spywares, etc etc... I Would completely get rid of it if I didnt need word and powerpoint for school. My main question is (ive tried googleing but cant seem to get an answer) what are all these differnt names i hear thrown around? - beryl, comp fusion, linux. are they all the same thing? are they like having windows 98, xp, or vista? excuse my ignorance. Im looking for eye candy, i like the wobbleing windows, the cube effects, the fire paint, etc... that kinda stuff. what do i need to do to make this happen. ty for the help, as i said ive tried googleing to find answers but i cant really seem to find what im looking for

hyper_ch
October 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM
what are all these differnt names i hear thrown around? - beryl, comp fusion, linux. are they all the same thing?

Wikipedia and Ubuntu Wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/) are two excellent sources for finding out what those things mean.

iaculallad
October 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Beryl and Compiz Fusion are just an example of your composting windows managers. This allows you to change of how your Ubuntu looks from the surface yet retaining the full functionality as an OS from the inside. Beryl is a fork of the Compiz project by the way.

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Beryl and Compiz Fusion are just an example of your composting windows managers. This allows you to change of how your Ubuntu looks from the surface yet retaining the full functionality as an OS from the inside. Beryl is a fork of the Compiz project by the way.

ty, an actual answer. people get defensive sometimes when you ask for help. "go look it up on google" geeze i'm asking cause i need help from someone who knows what they are doing. ty, ive been using windows my whole life, i have no experience with macs or linux systems and i would love to get ubuntu if you guys would continue to help me through the process. i know that there are sites that have help but i thought maybe i could get help from there and help from here. its very important that i dont mess up my computer as i need it for school and have no money to have someone fix it. this is why i actually feel comfortable talking to a person rather than following instructions on a website.

which do i download server or desktop on the website?
i already have infra recorder to write the iso
ty to all who assist me in the switch

iaculallad
October 10th, 2008, 09:56 AM
You can download both Server/Desktop edition of Ubuntu Hardy on this location: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/. ISO format are available for download. Better if you use torrent to download the torrent file.
Try reading this link (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto) on how to successful burn the ISO image.

HTH

ratmandall
October 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM

which do i download server or desktop on the website?
i already have infra recorder to write the iso
ty to all who assist me in the switch

Download the desktop as you seem to not be setting up a server.

WWSmith36
October 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
You want the desktop version.
Here is some are some tips for downloading and making a good install CD

Download the standard Ubuntu 8.04.1 32 bits iso image, torrent is recommended
http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso
http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

Check the md5sum of your downloaded Ubuntu .iso image file
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

and compare with
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/MD5SUMS

Burn it on a CD rom with low speed 4X and then check the md5sum of the burnt CD

Try to perform the "Memory test" and the "Check CD for defects" to be sure the CD is read without errors by the destination PC CD rom driver

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
You can download both Server/Desktop edition of Ubuntu Hardy on this location: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/. ISO format are available for download. Better if you use torrent to download the torrent file.
Try reading this link (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto) on how to successful burn the ISO image.

HTH

ok, it takes me about 10 mins to download these each. do i need both or only 1?

WWSmith36
October 10th, 2008, 10:04 AM
You dont need the server edition. It is not a graphical, its completely text based. As its name implies - only good for running a server.

hyper_ch
October 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
"go look it up on google" geeze i'm asking cause i need help from someone who knows what they are doing.
Yet I still wonder what kept you from using wikipedia to do a first inital research on what those things are?

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
ok im gettin ready to install, can you all assist me in the disk partitioning please? my stats are above, keep in mind i would still need some space left over on the windows side of things, and my d drive is a system restore that updates like every couple days, if i install ubuntu on it wont it mess with windows system restore built in feature ty for the help

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Yet I still wonder what kept you from using wikipedia to do a first inital research on what those things are?

As i said i did do the research but with someone so entirely out of the loop with linux, even after doing the inital research i still could not grasp the concept of what those different words meant. after all i have been in on a windows island my whole life, i love the functionality of ubuntu i guess it just needed to be explained to me

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The good news is if you got the live CD burned it will enable you to see if things will work without installing a single thing on your computer.

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 11:09 AM
yep i checked it out not i just need to figure out how to partition the disk

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM
yep i checked it out not i just need to figure out how to partition the disk

well one piece of advice I can give to you is if you are setting up a dual boot, do yourself a favor and defrag windows before shrinking its partition.

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 11:12 AM
well one piece of advice I can give to you is if you are setting up a dual boot, do yourself a favor and defrag windows before shrinking its partition.

ok, if i still plan on using windows for running programs and using itunes/ipod how much space should i leave it?

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
ok, if i still plan on using windows for running programs and using itunes/ipod how much space should i leave it?

Well you say that 50% of your hard disk space is being used by windows already so to keep a balanced system I would give ubuntu at least 20 gigs out of your 64.92 GB hard drive, that way you can experiment with ubuntu while having some breathing room for XP.
But do keep in mind that ubuntu does have its own itunes like applications and it can be used to set up an ipod.

tarps87
October 10th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I depends on how much space you think you'll use. If I understand correctly:
You have on 64.92 GB drive with 33.5 GB free and a second drive for backups which you want to keep(capacity 8.59 GB)? I'd suggest allowing 20GBs to Ubuntu. You can access your windows file from Ubuntu (ie. your music) by default (there are programs to allow windows to see your Linux/Ubuntu documents but I wouldn't suggest it.)

Before you change anything I suggest making a backup of any important documents.

I would suggest looking at open office as well as that can save to the .doc format word uses

Edit: Use 21GB just because SunnyRabbiera beet me with 20GBs :)

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I depends on how much space you think you'll use. If I understand correctly:
You have on 64.92 GB drive with 33.5 GB free and a second drive for backups which you want to keep(capacity 8.59 GB)? I'd suggest allowing 20GBs to Ubuntu. You can access your windows file from Ubuntu (ie. your music) by default (there are programs to allow windows to see your Linux/Ubuntu documents but I wouldn't suggest it.)

Before you change anything I suggest making a backup of any important documents.

I would suggest looking at open office as well as that can save to the .doc format word uses

Edit: Use 21GB just because SunnyRabbiera beet me with 20GBs :)

well he could easily make a 20 GB main partition and give it a 1 gig swap.

NE Key
October 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM
.. I Would completely get rid of it if I didnt need word and powerpoint for school.

Open Office will save your work in many formats - one of them is .doc to that Word can open the document another is .ppt so that Powerpoint can open it.

What that means is that you can use Open Office (which comes with Ubuntu) and save the document is a format that your teachers can open.

Your best bet at this stage is probably to have a computer with BOTH Windows and Ubuntu (this is called "dual-boot") and you choose which you want when you turn it on. (the menu for choosing is in a programme called "Grub" - this will automatically be installed with Ubuntu).

tarps87
October 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
well he could easily make a 20 GB main partition and give it a 1 gig swap.

That reminds me, you'll want at least a 3GB swap partition if you want to hibernate your pc, this is a your swap should be at least 1 1/2 time the size of your ram (so you have somewhere to store your nuts:)). If you do not want to hibernate it can be any size you want

AndrewXtreme
October 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
That reminds me, you'll want at least a 3GB swap partition if you want to hibernate your pc, this is a your swap should be at least 1 1/2 time the size of your ram (so you have somewhere to store your nuts:)). If you do not want to hibernate it can be any size you want

ty guys for your help. i have downloaded ubuntu and tested it out from the disk. i love it. i called best buy to make sure adding a new operating system wouldn't effect my warranty, and it doesnt.

im still a little confused on this install, this is like a one time thing correct, i cant go back and give it more room if i mess up right. i'm basically looking for ubuntu to be my everyday system and windows to be used once in a while. I have to keep windows and cannot use open office because the business classes im in are actually office 07 specific, gotta have it.

I was thinking i could somehow get rid of the recovery drive to recover some hard drive space. can i do that. also someone said i can acess some files saved on windos through ubuntu. i have a bunch of mp3s dont know what im gonna do with them either.

should i free up xp from everything except firefox, office 07, limewire, itunes. to reserve more space for ubuntu if its gonna be my everyday system.?

Keen101
October 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
hould i free up xp from everything except firefox, office 07, limewire, itunes. to reserve more space for ubuntu if its gonna be my everyday system.?

I'd say yeah. do that, uninstall anything you won't be needing from windows, then run a defragment, so there will be less risk of data corruption on windows. Select about 20 gigs and let ubuntu do a guided install (if possible).

Of course since this is your first install, I'd recommend using the second drive instead of messing with the windows one for now. Of course i you do that you won't be able to do your backups, but so what. That kind of sucks on the word 2007 thing, but hopefully in the future Open Office will have compatibility.

It's going to be really scary at first, but just do it. That's how i did. I was so scared that I'd screw my system up, but after i did i realized that everything was ok, and i loved it. Of course in the event you do screw something up... You could alway's re-install windows. (or maybe run windows inside virtualbox)

Since you got this at BestBuy there is probably a hidden partition that was put there by the manufacturer to restore windows. of course you probably got a windows cd with your computer too. So, i'd say no worries. Good luck.

tarps87
October 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM
im still a little confused on this install, this is like a one time thing correct, i cant go back and give it more room if i mess up right.
You will be able to resize the partitions latter on if you want to.

I was thinking i could somehow get rid of the recovery drive to recover some hard drive space.
You can reformat the the recovery drive, I would suggest installing Ubuntu on the free space on the first drive as the second is only 8.60GB. Can you post the output of
sudo fdisk -l.(Run the live cd and then go to applications->assecoris->terminal and then type the above code) This will show any hidden partitions

also someone said i can acess some files saved on windos through ubuntu. i have a bunch of mp3s dont know what im gonna do with them either.
This is possible by default on Hardy, I would leave the mps3 on the windows drive and access them from Ubuntu, this way they can both uses them without any messing about. You will need too install the codecs though
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restriced-extras

I have to keep windows and cannot use open office because the business classes im in are actually office 07 specific, gotta have it.

That kind of sucks on the word 2007 thing, but hopefully in the future Open Office will have compatibility.
The 07 format is supported in open office but may schools insist that you use Microsoft products, this is the case on some of my Uni modules, access and vba rather than allowing mySql for example.

should i free up xp from everything except firefox, office 07, limewire, itunes. to reserve more space for ubuntu if its gonna be my everyday system.?
I would remove any large programs that you will not use any more and have Linux equivalents for.
I suggest backing up any important data onto CD or USB, somewhere that isn't on the computer just in case.
Looking at the size of the second hard drive I think there either a hidden partition or you only have one hard drive and two partitions on it. If you can post the output of the fdisk command it will give a clear picture.