PDA

View Full Version : I Wrote a Book of Poetry!

DeadSuperHero
October 10th, 2008, 06:08 AM
It took me all year to write these. I'm really proud of them, and I just want to show everyone because I finally have something to be proud about. I've been working really hard at it. I wrote it using OpenOffice.org 3.0, GIMP, and Inkscape. The resulting product isn't the most visually stunning thing in the world, but it's a bunch of poems that I wrote to cheer myself up.

Blog entry is here (http://seantilleywritesalot.blogspot.com/2008/10/poetry-book-under-iron-tree.html). (With links to the files)

I offer them in PDF and ODF (OpenDocument Format) on my blog (through Blogger and DeviantArt), and I'd love to get some input on my work.

Also, any work I publish will be under a very permissive license known as Creative Commons, the specific license I'm using will allow you to pretty much do whatever you like with my work, as long as I get the credit for my original work.

Well, It took me all year to write them, and I'd love to share them with you guys.
I just figured that we all deal with stress from time to time, and I think someone might get uplifted by a poem or two from in here.

Cheers, everybody!
-Sean

ack389
October 10th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Let me preface this by telling you that I have never been good at interpreting literature and am bad at English(the course material, not the language).

I think highly of you for putting this out there. Poetry is a very personal thing and I have always enjoyed it, although sometimes I don't see what the author is trying to "say". I enjoyed every poem I have read so far from your collection. Some I especially like are the self titled one(Under an Iron Tree), Children, and Amnesia.

I really like these ones because I can relate so much to them.

Another thing is that the way you released them is wonderful. Some people try to make money, you have a statement of how personal this collection is to you just by the lisence.

Keep up the good work

BlackLLama
October 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
i hope it's not emo mr scissorshands, nah i'm just messing with you im downloading pdf right now.

barbedsaber
October 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
My uncle just published a book, if you want to PM me, I can find out about his agent, and if his agent knows anyone on your side of the world.

Tomosaur
October 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Normally I tend to stay away from 'internet poets' - very few seem to rely too heavily on obscure imagery and just generally 'try too hard'. The result is usually something barely readable with incredibly forced imagery.

That said - from the few poems of yours I've just read I can say you definitely have a talent. Very easy to relate to and very subtle use of (what I believe to be, anyway!) good poetry technique. I love writing myself, but I hate typing things. I like having all the mistakes and crossing-outs. Then, of course, I lose the notebook and get distracted and so on. So I doubt I'll ever be successful in the field :P

Anyway - keep it up!

DeadSuperHero
October 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Another thing is that the way you released them is wonderful. Some people try to make money, you have a statement of how personal this collection is to you just by the lisence.

Keep up the good work

Thanks! I intend to release any future works under a permissive CC license. I figure it's the best way to share something that I really enjoy working on.

I just have to say, though: it feels really good finally getting this out. It took me a full year of just writing these in a notebook whenever I was bored in school.