PDA

View Full Version : No os is superior

gletob
October 10th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I was just on yahoo answers answering questions and this one person asked about what kind of computer she should get so the second answer is "You should buy a Mac because they are ONLY 1299 and come with OS X which is the superior OS." That makes me so very mad. Every operating system has its pros and cons so mac, windows, AND linux fanboy's should all go away leave people alone and stop being the bible thumpers of the internet
END RANT

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Well for me Linux is superior for many reasons, I mean yes it has drawbacks but I think it has less drawbacks then Windows or OSX.

doas777
October 10th, 2008, 02:35 AM
was this an "accepted" answer?
if so, they rather suck.

-grubby
October 10th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Yeah, fanboys are a fact of life.

EDIT: I heard being a fanboy was one of the 7 deadly sins

cardinals_fan
October 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM
There is a superior OS, but it varies for every individual :)

original_jamingrit
October 10th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Quite true. Linux is not Windows is not Mac is not FreeBSD is not GNU is not Unix... (sorry, I had to work that in there :-))

gletob
October 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM
was this an "accepted" answer?
if so, they rather suck.

I was about to post a good answer and comment about his comment but yahoo answers went dows before I finished posting so I had to come here to let the anger out I'm better now:)

jimi_hendrix
October 10th, 2008, 02:40 AM

+1

i could use either linux or windows happily but i cant stand mac osx (illogical design imo)

geoken
October 10th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Your argument seems to be based of the assumption that "Superior" = "Perfect". Superior just means it's better than something else, it doesn't mean it's better than something else in every measurable aspect.

73ckn797
October 10th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Your argument seems to be based of the assumption that "Superior" = "Perfect". Superior just means it's better than something else, it doesn't mean it's better than something else in every measurable aspect.

Superior only in the fact that it may do one or several things that meet a particular person's needs or wants. That is a purely subjective issue. Apples to apples there is a comparison and superior or inferior rating but, again, that can be subjective also.

My subjective opinion, say, in relation to file managers, is that Thunar is better than Nautilus but that is because I want multiple file renaming capability integrated into a file manager. It is a necessity with the work that I do and I do not want to have to be switching between apps to accomplish the ends that I need.

Fixman
October 10th, 2008, 03:09 AM
This post should be the "read to install" disclaimer on every Linux distribution. Something like "before zealoting, read this".

Presto123
October 10th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Linux is superior...but that's only for MY use. Ubuntu is superior over others for MY use as well...it just depends on the person.

jocose
October 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
IMO, I don't have boots high enough to wade through all of the garbage I've read on Yahoo Answers to find any quality help.

billgoldberg
October 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I was just on yahoo answers answering questions and this one person asked about what kind of computer she should get so the second answer is "You should buy a Mac because they are ONLY 1299 and come with OS X which is the superior OS." That makes me so very mad. Every operating system has its pros and cons so mac, windows, AND linux fanboy's should all go away leave people alone and stop being the bible thumpers of the internet
END RANT

Linux is superior, that's why I'm using it.

However I do realize it's not the best option for lots of people.

Hence I will never be a "fanboy" on other sites.

And I don't appreciate being called a bible thumper buddy! lol

Calmatory
October 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
No OS is superior indeed.

Linux is NOT superior.
Windows is NOT superior.
OS X is NOT superior.
Unix is NOT superior.

Anyone stating otherwise is either a fanboy or does act dumb. Yes, there might be OS better for certain task than the rest, but is there a thing other OS can't do at all?

Windows is superior for gaming. Linux and Unix are superior for stability and security(if everything is configured right). However, both have the others strengths as their weaknesses.

Generally no OS is superior, unless for a certain special task and even then there are always alternatives.

Oh, and I do not like Apple. I do not like Microsoft but I do somewhat like Windows XP. Neither do I like most linux distributions I have tried as a desktop distro. Ubuntu works. ;)

billgoldberg
October 10th, 2008, 11:47 AM
No OS is superior indeed.

Linux is NOT superior.
Windows is NOT superior.
OS X is NOT superior.
Unix is NOT superior.

Anyone stating otherwise is either a fanboy or does act dumb. Yes, there might be OS better for certain task than the rest, but is there a thing other OS can't do at all?

Windows is superior for gaming. Linux and Unix are superior for stability and security(if everything is configured right). However, both have the others strengths as their weaknesses.

Generally no OS is superior, unless for a certain special task and even then there are always alternatives.

Oh, and I do not like Apple. I do not like Microsoft but I do somewhat like Windows XP. Neither do I like most linux distributions I have tried as a desktop distro. Ubuntu works. ;)

I don't agree.

If Linux is what is the best for you than it is superior.

Nobody is claiming it's superior for everyone.

mr.propre
October 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Not always and thats why you should never say that.
It depend on what tasks you do with computer.

For instance:
When I setup a internet/file server I stick to Linux.
When I make a UML-chart I use Linux.
When I program in PHP I mostly use Linux.

When I setup a network with windows clients I will use windows server.
When I want to play a game I mostly use Windows
When I do some design work I use Windows.
When I program in VB.NET I use Windows (it's a school thing)

When I write lot of documentation or a paper I use the both
My e-mail I do on Windows, Linux and the Web
For surfing I use what ever can handle the Opera browser.

You might noticed that I don't use OS X, but thats because I never used OS X before. Also never felt the need for it ;-)

Canis familiaris
October 10th, 2008, 01:50 PM
+1

i could use either linux or windows happily but i cant stand mac osx (illogical design imo)

+2
I use only Ubuntu, and other Free(of cost) OSes because I have no wish to spend bucks to buy MS Windows, though I don't mind use it as a secondary OS abut I no longer wish to run a pirated copy on my PC.
As for Mac OSX, I will never use it for desktop since I would have to part with my buck for it and stay locked to Apple Hardware and I prefer to build my own PC.

darrelljon
October 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Of course some operating systems are better than others. Does superior necessarily mean superior in every aspect to every user? No! Would anyone here hesitate to say Ubuntu is superior to Windows 3.1?

Its not conclusive, but operating systems can be compared objectively on;

speed,
hardware compatibility,
software compatibility,
features,
stability,
security.

If an OS is slow, has few applications, few features, is unstable and insecure it can be said to be inferior (and therefore others to be superior).