PDA

View Full Version : Linux in The Economist

cardinals_fan
October 10th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Someone wrote a letter to the editor of the Economist (a major British news/business magazine that is also popular in many other countries) which discussed Linux. It was in response to an article about Microsoft's new ad campaign. I'll try to dig up the magazine and type in the letter...

zmjjmz
October 10th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Wie intereβant.
I get the Economist (or at least my dad does). I'll have to look for it.

solitaire
October 10th, 2008, 04:24 AM
was it this letter:

Shoe circus

SIR – I am not surprised that Microsoft’s latest advertising campaign features Bill Gates needing help to buy a pair of shoes (“Postmodern wriggle (http://www.economist.co.uk/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12209073&CFID=25296385&CFTOKEN=44997718)”, September 13th). He is familiar with the Windows one-size-fits-all, take-it-or-leave-it brand. If a pair of Windows shoes are too tight or too loose, you are not allowed to adjust: it is forbidden by the End User License Agreement.
I would suggest Mr Gates buy a pair of Linux shoes. They come in an amazing variety of models and you can adapt them to be used as wellies, executive moccasins, trainers or even ballet shoes. And to boot, you don’t need to reach for your credit card.
Sebastià Pla Sanz
Sant Cugat del Vallès, Spain

cardinals_fan
October 10th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Yes. I'm rather surprised that they published it.

Tomosaur
October 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Ha, I like that letter. Unfortunately I think it will leave people scratching their heads!

The Economist should do a feature on Linux usage in business though, could get a few companies thinking about switching.

aeiah
October 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
it doesnt seem that unusual that linux would be mentioned in the economist. in fact, with the economy being what it is right now id be suprised if they didnt mention it. linux gets a mention in the tech sections of most magazines and newspapers every now and then.