PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Inside Windows

cwcbiker
October 9th, 2008, 11:15 PM
I can get the live CD to boot up on the computer, however, it says "put the CD in the drive while Windows is running and select "Install inside Windows". When the CD is inserted while windows is running, it doesn't recognize it. Does anyone know how to get it to work?
Thanks

bwang
October 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Select the check CD option in the install menu to see if the CD is good. If not, re-burn the CD at 1x speed.

cwcbiker
October 9th, 2008, 11:25 PM
The CD is good as I am able to boot it up. I want to "install inside windows" and you have to insert it while windows is running but it doesn't work there.

aysiu
October 9th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Just because you're able to boot up the CD doesn't mean it's good. It could be barely good or just average. A perfectly good CD should be able to perform all functions, not just some.

Is Windows able to recognize other CDs you insert into the drive (audio CDs, for example)?

cwcbiker
October 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes it does.

aysiu
October 9th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Then I definitely think you have a not-so-good CD. It may not be unusable, but it is not perfect.

Did you do a checksum on the .iso before you burnt it? And did you burn the .iso to CD at a slow speed?

cwcbiker
October 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
This CD was provided by ubuntu in the mail.

aysiu
October 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM
This CD was provided by ubuntu in the mail.
That doesn't preclude it being bad. As a matter of fact, that may make it even likelier to be bad.

My guess is that these CDs get pressed in mass quantities and use the highest burning speed available (maybe 24x or 48x).

Home users have the luxury of burning at slower speeds (1x, 2x, or 4x).