PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if Ubuntu 10.04 will remain with GNOME 2.28 when it comes out

smartboyathome
October 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Yes, I'm thinking a little far ahead, but I was just thinking about when GNOME 3.0 was to be released and realised it coincided with Ubuntu 10.04, which is a LTS release. So, now I wonder if they will pull a Kubuntu and not have a LTS or if they will just stick with GNOME 2.28, or if something completely different may happen.

SunnyRabbiera
October 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Well for all we know Ubuntu could use KDE4 by then, its unclear right now.

smartboyathome
October 9th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Thats true. Kubuntu being default would be odd at first though.

billgoldberg
October 9th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Isn't 3.0 coming after 2.26 or did I imagine that?

smartboyathome
October 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Isn't 3.0 coming after 2.26 or did I imagine that?

GNOME 2.30 = GNOME 3.0
I remember it because they both have "30" in it.

SomeGuyDude
October 10th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Okay, so then Gnubuntu or whatever version of Ubuntu uses GNOME. Will that one use it? Jeez, it's not like Ubuntu is going to abandon GNOME entirely.

cardinals_fan
October 10th, 2008, 01:28 AM
GNOME 2.30 = GNOME 3.0
Why is that?

kevin11951
October 10th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Why is that?

i remember in a presentation they said that, ill find it...

SunnyRabbiera
October 10th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Okay, so then Gnubuntu or whatever version of Ubuntu uses GNOME. Will that one use it? Jeez, it's not like Ubuntu is going to abandon GNOME entirely.

Well it looks like right now KDE4 might become the standard, as a lot of apps are being ported over to qt4.
But by Ubuntu 10 I hope KDE4 will be much better then it is now.

Changturkey
October 10th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I actually would not mind if Ubuntu switched to KDE, it just seems so much more friendly, has the eyecandy, and each 4.x release brings a lot of new features. Plus it looks similar to Windows with the classic start menu.

handy
October 10th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I don't want to use anything that reminds me of windows.

Ioky
October 10th, 2008, 05:07 AM

don't use any kind of computer then, (I just kidding, but yeah, all pc now come with windows, even you build your own pc, there will be a lot of Windows in and out. and You will never miss them. They are always in your face.)

handy
October 10th, 2008, 05:54 AM
don't use any kind of computer then, (I just kidding, but yeah, all pc now come with windows, even you build your own pc, there will be a lot of Windows in and out. and You will never miss them. They are always in your face.)

I disagree; I dumped windows 3 years ago, am using various distro's on my home built system & on my iMac I run Leopard & Arch.

I do not see windows in my day to day computing.

namegame
October 10th, 2008, 06:28 AM

If you really build a computer from scratch and buy every single part individually, I highly doubt you'll find Windows.

I avoid Windows when I want to, which is 95% of the time. For me, Windows is just a gaming console, I only boot into it when I want to play a game. I do everything else on Linux, Webdesign, programming, word-processing, etc.

phrostbyte
October 10th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Yeah I think they might need to delay this LTS by 6 months. At least I think they should. Ubuntu 10.10 LTS :)

SirBismuth
October 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM

My thoughts exactly when I read that post.

I rarely using ******* at work, and only use it at home as a gaming console for a couple of games, one doesn't work in wine, and the other doesn't see my saved game files in wine.

B

andras artois
October 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Isn't KDE licensed differently to GNOME which makes it not completely free like GNOME?

And I can't stand KDE.

Swarms
October 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well it looks like right now KDE4 might become the standard, as a lot of apps are being ported over to qt4.
But by Ubuntu 10 I hope KDE4 will be much better then it is now.

Cool down with your hot shot claims please.

smartboyathome
October 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Isn't KDE licensed differently to GNOME which makes it not completely free like GNOME?

And I can't stand KDE.

Not anymore, but it was because Qt wasn't fully open source.

Also, I didn't mean for this to turn into a Linux vs. Windows war. Please don't turn this thread into one. :(

ToasterThief
October 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Well it looks like right now KDE4 might become the standard

At the current state of Gnome and KDE, I actually wouldn't mind. KDE seems to be the better product at the moment.

madjr
October 10th, 2008, 04:05 PM
At the current state of Gnome and KDE, I actually wouldn't mind. KDE seems to be the better product at the moment.

gnome still has lots more support

but in 6 months, who knows.. maybe KDE4 will be in the lead.

gnome = more support and complete, but feels a bit outdated (specially with the old brown defacto themes...:confused:)

kde = nice and modern (out of the box), but still lacks some stuff

a bit hard to choose, thats why am using both :)

Ub1476
October 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I think KDE is probably better for devs (now why did VLC port it to QT?), but somehow I can't stand the interface. I like the simple way of Gnome, but I guess it's just a matter of time to change that. Well, I'll wait for Firefox to get a QT version before I try KDE4 again.

Also I think Canonical is gonna work really close with the Gnome devs after the Jaunty release, when they're probably preparing for the third release.

Canis familiaris
October 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I think KDE is probably better for devs (now why did VLC port it to QT?),

Umm... No. QT != KDE.
Read this post by FuturePilot. It's informative:
http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/why-the-hate-for-qt/

but somehow I can't stand the interface. I like the simple way of Gnome, but I guess it's just a matter of time to change that. Well, I'll wait for Firefox to get a QT version before I try KDE4 again.
Use Qt 4 Settings (QGtkStyle) ;)

madjr
October 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I think KDE is probably better for devs (now why did VLC port it to QT?), but somehow I can't stand the interface. I like the simple way of Gnome, but I guess it's just a matter of time to change that. Well, I'll wait for Firefox to get a QT version before I try KDE4 again.

Also I think Canonical is gonna work really close with the Gnome devs after the Jaunty release, when they're probably preparing for the third release.

qt version..?

you only need 1 of the oxygen themes

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Tour#Mozilla_Firefox_3

Mr. Picklesworth
October 10th, 2008, 05:33 PM
GNOME 3.0 is not necessarily a radical change (so far), but aimed more as a memorable milestone to deprecate old functionality and lighten up GTK.

Since there is a good advance warning and Ubuntu doesn't support any closed source software by default, there is no reason why 3.0 will matter for stability. (Except for the wonderful gains in the speed and "just works" departments for developers and users alike thanks to redundant functionality finally disappearing).

A bit like KDE, the real changes to GTK and the like are coming in the next release.

handy
October 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Not that the OP desired it, but this threads topic has been turned into the same old boring KDE vs Gnome repetitive topic.

quinnten83
October 11th, 2008, 12:15 AM

Have you seen the 8.10 theme? How is the fact that they are working together supposed mto make me feel any better?

I miss Visio, everything else they can keep.

mrgnash
October 11th, 2008, 01:27 AM

Ugh! Don't even go there!

mike1772
October 11th, 2008, 02:02 AM

gnome = more support and complete, but feels a bit outdated (specially with the old brown defacto themes...:confused:)

I'm curious as to why the brown themes make gnome seem outdated. To me they make it feel like something new and fresh (the color scheme is certainly unique - unlike the blue's that have been dated for quite a few years now). Regardless - the browns to reflect upon Gnome so much as Ubuntu.

Delvien
October 11th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I hope it wont be switched to KDE, Gnome is easier to learn. Personal preference too.

DoubleClicker
October 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Yes, I'm thinking a little far ahead, but I was just thinking about when GNOME 3.0 was to be released and realised it coincided with Ubuntu 10.04, which is a LTS release. So, now I wonder if they will pull a Kubuntu and not have a LTS or if they will just stick with GNOME 2.28, or if something completely different may happen.

With Kubuntu they didn't go LTS because KDE 4.0 was essentially unstable. KDE 4 was a radical departure from KDE 3 and was pushed out the door prematurely. Gnome 3.0 however is not in any way comparable. Gnome 3.0 should be as stable as any other of the incremental releases, with no radical compatibility issues, which are not already being addressed today. And in the event that all the planed features aren't stabilized in time, it would be likely that the gnome team would just hold back on the unstable features, and release a stable version as 2.30 instead.. So there shouldn't be any problem, for Lofty Loon to be an LTS release, based on the latest GNOME.

Changturkey
October 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Gnome 3.0 won't be as radical as KDE 4?

jsmidt
October 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Back to the original subject, I agree, being an LTS release makes it possible they will use Gnome 2.28. It would ensure the release is very well tested and bug free from the start.

I bet the devs are waiting to see what 3.0 will be like. If it is a trivial upgrade maybe they will go with 3.0 but I could really see them sticking with 2.28 for stability reasons.

camper365
May 23rd, 2009, 08:26 PM
GNOME 3.0 may not extremely revolutionize GNOME, it may stay basically the same, but they might keep it 2.28 for the LTS

days_of_ruin
May 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM

kde = nice and modern (out of the box), but still lacks some stuff

a bit hard to choose, thats why am using both :)

The gnome default theme is blue. Ubuntu is not vanilla gnome.

Supercows
September 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM
When the do insert KDE 4 in it.. Multiple monitor support is (now) really bad in KDE4 :'( Gnome is much better with that!

@ work I have a laptop 1920x1200 with 2 20" TFT monitors (1600x1200). With Gnome it was easy to set up, but with KDE4 it was a hell to get it to work.

I think the KDE4 interface is much smoother. Gnome is more stable and works sometimes easier and faster with small graphicscards.

Compiz is with both not super :'(

Exodist
September 21st, 2009, 07:59 PM
i remember in a presentation they said that, ill find it...

I remember them saying that also. Think its on their projected roadmap page.

Sticking with 2.28 would not be a bad idea nor would it hurt anything. Isnt like Gnome releases a new model Ferrari with each release.

In addition it would be a bad idea to jump to KDE then back to GNOME. It would prob upset alot of users that use Ubuntu strictly for Gnome.

zekopeko
September 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
I remember them saying that also. Think its on their projected roadmap page.

Sticking with 2.28 would not be a bad idea nor would it hurt anything. Isnt like Gnome releases a new model Ferrari with each release.

In addition it would be a bad idea to jump to KDE then back to GNOME. It would prob upset alot of users that use Ubuntu strictly for Gnome.

Mark Shuttleworth said in the video that for 10.04 we can expect the Gnome 2 interface, as a pinnacle of the Gnome 2 series.

sudoer541
September 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM

No, mark said that they will use gnome 2.X.
I read an article about it in Linux today.

NormanFLinux
September 22nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
An update to a new GNOME version could be done through the Karmic Koala backports.

Grickko
September 22nd, 2009, 01:57 AM
i don't want to use anything that reminds me of windows.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

no kde!

misfitpierce
September 22nd, 2009, 03:20 AM
I would expect it to stay with Gnome period and not move default to KDE. They like the simplicity of Gnome for their users as a default. KDE can be a bit trickier in settings and such for new users whereas Gnome has fewer options on some things but it right down to the point and super simple in a good way and in way of setting everything up. I enjoy Gnome over KDE by 100X... Just love the environments feel way better!

hoppipolla
September 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
I don't want to be mean but... where IS Gnome 3? Can anyone show me any screenshots or videos or anything at all?

To my mind Gnome and GTK 3 are still vaporware until I see some kind of lifesign.

EDIT -- I 100% agree that KDE is the better product at the moment. It is moving faster, it has more direction, it is more professional, and the results are plain and here to see. To my mind, KDE 4.x is the future of Linux, Ubuntu, and mainstream Open Source operating systems ^_^

hoppipolla
September 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
I'm just looking at Gnome Shell at the moment, and that's nice, it's good to see something actually real and tangible come out of some push towards a new Gnome.

It seems to integrate window effects quite nicely into Gnome, and looks quite smooth. However, doesn't it just boil down to surface trickery? The toolkit and overall look is precisely the same, and it presents another question - do we really want the entire desktop to shrink the second we press the "Start" button?

Overall though, a step in the right direction, even when seen through the eyes of a KDE fanboy! hehe :)

Exodist
September 22nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
Mark Shuttleworth said in the video that for 10.04 we can expect the Gnome 2 interface, as a pinnacle of the Gnome 2 series.

Thought he would. Its a smart move.

dudude
September 22nd, 2009, 06:25 AM

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw) is a link to the video.

Also, how important will Gnome Shell be to Gnome 3?
Everything I have seen mentioning Gnome 3 shows it with the shell.

I prefer Gnome to KDE, but if Gnome Shell is going to be too big of a part of Gnome, then I think that would be a good enough reason to switch.

Exodist
September 22nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02bhwofEqw) is a link to the video.

Also, how important will Gnome Shell be to Gnome 3?
Everything I have seen mentioning Gnome 3 shows it with the shell.

I prefer Gnome to KDE, but if Gnome Shell is going to be too big of a part of Gnome, then I think that would be a good enough reason to switch.
I agree, what ever happened to Gnomes philosophy of "Keep It Simple"? When I first seen that shell crap my heart skipped a beat in complete fear of the clutter of that crap.

luksol
October 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
An update to a new GNOME version could be done through the Karmic Koala backports.

how to do this? :)

Warpnow
October 12th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I would think ubuntu more likely to switch to xfce than kde.

Gnome is nothing like KDE, whereas xfce is similar. Dissatisfaction with Gnome 3 seems like it would drive support to xfce.

cguy
October 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Funny that Lucid Lynx (10.04) was already announced as a LTS with no big changes (stability is crucial) and people still make silly assumptions.

dth4h
December 7th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Gnome has decided to release Gnome 3.0 in September 2010 instead of March. So Gnome 2.32 = Gnome 3.0. They will still have a Gnome 2.30 release in March 2010.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2009-November/msg00001.html

AllRadioisDead
December 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Who knows :o

aviedw
December 7th, 2009, 05:54 AM
From what im reading, 10.4 will not have Gnome 3.0. They insisted that it will have the latest and greatest that the current version has to offer, but i doubt if it really matters because you can always update it anyway.