PDA

View Full Version : VLC replacement that dos *NOT* use QT

hessiess
October 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I use Arch Linux, and try to keep it as minimal as possible, however with VLC switching from WX to QT, the QT libs were installed. I don't want QT installed for the sake of one program, so are there any alternatives that use GTK and can 'play anything'(including DVD's), like VLC can.

thanks.

voteforpedro36
October 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
MPlayer?

bash
October 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
And you could even use GNOME Mplayer if you want a GTK frontend for Mplayer ...

steeleyuk
October 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Totem for me plays pretty much anything. Any specific file types that you're planning on using?

RiceMonster
October 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
And you could even use GNOME Mplayer if you want a GTK frontend for Mplayer ...

This. I much prefer GNOME-Mplayer (or even just mplayer, but not gmplayer) to VLC. Don't be fooled either, it's just a very nice GTK frontend; it doesn't pull in tons of GNOME deps.

TravisNewman
October 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I think the OP wants something that you don't have to fuss over codecs for.

I know of nothing like VLC that has everything necessary in a nice, neat package. It's truly amazing.

yabbadabbadont
October 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
No one has mentioned xine yet.

bash
October 9th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I think the OP wants something that you don't have to fuss over codecs for.

I know of nothing like VLC that has everything necessary in a nice, neat package. It's truly amazing.

mplayer plays basically everything. I thought both mplayer and vlc use ffmeg.

koenn
October 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
vlc-nox
it's all the functionality of vlc, without the GUI.

hessiess
October 9th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Totem for me plays pretty much anything. Any specific file types that you're planning on using?

no formats specificly, just whatever I come across on the web, which can be practically anything.

GNOME-mplayer seams to be adequate, only time will tell if it has the 'play anything' capability that VLC comes with.

myusername
October 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM
totem-xine is great

billgoldberg
October 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
I use Arch Linux, and try to keep it as minimal as possible, however with VLC switching from WX to QT, the QT libs were installed. I don't want QT installed for the sake of one program, so are there any alternatives that use GTK and can 'play anything'(including DVD's), like VLC can.

thanks.

Totem.

It plays everything for me.

ice60
October 9th, 2008, 11:59 PM
i've used gnome-mplayer as my only player for at least a year and it works almost perfectly, i sometimes use mplayer when the audio and picture are out of sync to re-sync them; to do that i run mplayer from the cli i.e. -
mplayer video.avi
(it doesn't seem to work if you launch mplayer, then open the video) then to sync the video you use shift-+ and -

edit: actually with an avi file you might need the -idx option, it tells you that in the terminal if you forget.

Trail
October 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM
MPlayer > VLC

I use SMplayer, but you don't want that, so I can't recommend to you a good front-end. I'm sure there must be one for GNOME though.

samjh
October 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
are there any alternatives that use GTK and can 'play anything'(including DVD's), like VLC can.No, there aren't.

In my two years of struggling with codecs and DVDs on Linux, nothing beats VLC. I've never had problems with any media playback using VLC. The Mozilla plugin could be better, but that's only a minor niggle.

My second-favourite is MPlayer, but it doesn't do DVD menus properly, and some media files play with out-of-sync audio (no problems with VLC).

As for Totem players, Totem-Gstreamer doesn't track some media files properly, and sometimes has problems selecting the correct locale for DVD playback. Totem-xine has audio sync issues on some media files. (Again, no problems with VLC.)

The 10-odd megabytes of files needed for basic Qt runtime libraries is hardly a dint when you consider than most Linux installations weigh at least 1.5 Gigabytes. Even if you install every Qt runtime file (which is not necessary for most people), it's only around 30 megabytes.

Heinzelotto
October 10th, 2008, 11:59 AM
ok, forget what i was saying...

LaRoza
October 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Why not use VLC? Unless you are restricted by hard drive space, or the minor delay in startup is a problem, it is rather silly to be consistant for nothing. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

I use xmonad, Opera, VLC, Thunar, and many terminal apps. I use the best of free software, on a minimal setup, without working about being consistant for the sake of it. Yes, I have many libraries installed that I do not use (mostly the GNOME and KDE ones, as I have GNOME and KDE installed for testing, I don't use them much). My hard disk can take it.