PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Advice on Hard Drive with Bad Sector(s)?

Sodbuster
October 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to proceed with my laptop's hard drive. I have a Fujitsu MHU2100AT (100GB) drive and when I try to install Ubuntu from the Live CD it doesn't give me the option to resize the Windows partition... only to use the entire disk. I ran the Gparted Live CD and it said the Windows partition had 2 bad sectors in it and that the drive was now considered unreliable. Apparently I could still do the partition resize but do it all manually and I don't quite have the knowledge to feel confident in that. It basically involved running ntfsresize and fdisk to get it done manually.

Can anyone guide me through this?

Also, should I just look into replacing the entire hard drive?

Thanks.

forger
October 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Do you still have windows installed?
Boot using windows, do a full scandisk/checkdisk there (not sure, I think it's my computer > right click on drive > properties > Scan disk).
Note: You might have to restart your pc in order to actually do the scan!

And of course, shutdown windows properly (start > Shut down, and not hibernate or standby or I don't know what) :)

Sodbuster
October 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, Windows is still installed. I did the scan disk twice with it rebooting in order to start the operation, as instructed by Gparted. It still says I have bad sectors and can't resize the partition.

forger
October 10th, 2008, 07:16 AM
well.. if you bought it within the last 3 years you can ask for a replacement :)
http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/discontinued/mhu2100at.html

Sodbuster
October 14th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I noticed that... and then I swore when I realized 3 years was a month ago. So I'm kind of hosed on that :(

I think what I'll do it just forgo putting Linux on my laptop and just wait until I get a new one (not in the forseeable future) or wait until I build a new desktop. The desktop might come sooner rather than later since I have an older computer collecting dust which was replaced by my laptop, but wasn't bad at all.