PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FreeNX remoting into a Windows box

rstaylor
October 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I am having trouble remoting from Ubuntu into Windows using FreeNX (nxserver and client). I can get a connection and enter credentials. However as the desktop environment begins to paint I get an error:
The System cannot find the path specified.
This initial program cannot be started: /usr/lib/nx/nxdesktop_helper

I have located this file in the Ubuntu server. It is owned by root and has the following permissions rwxr-xr-x.

It appears to me that this is trying to run this as a program ON the windows box as part of the login. Of course this path does not exist in Windows.

The other thing that supports this theory is that if a user session is already logged in on the Windows machine everything works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rich Taylor

Jack005
October 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
I have the same problem. To get around it, I ran "RDESKTOP" locally on the server to the remote WinXP box.

sudo /usr/bin/rdesktop -f 192.168.x.x

Once I get the signon prompt I enter the user id then I signed off. For some reason that fixed the problem for this particular user and I was able to use FreeNX with this user after. I'm still investigating. Hope this will help.

running Hardy, FreeNX 3.2.0

gerni
November 8th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I've exactly the same problem - the solution from Jack005 works for me, but this helps only for the current session. This is really annoying. Has anybody found a solution?