PDA

View Full Version : Distribution Release: Mandriva Linux 2009

wolfen69
October 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Mandriva Linux 2009 has been released: "We have released Mandriva Linux 2009, the new release of our distribution. 2009 is a bold release which brings the new KDE 4.1 as the default desktop, along with a re-designed installer and Mandriva Control Center, and many other new features. Other significant updates include GNOME 2.24, OpenOffice.org 3, Mozilla Firefox 3, and kernel 2.6.27. Key features include new graphical in-line upgrade capability, netbook compatibility, class-leading hardware support, and support for working with mobile devices

see www.distrowatch.com for download links

miggols99
October 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Burning now, hoping it will work with my new(ish) computer. I'll be posting a review on my website, Archux ;)

Legend28469
October 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Can I get the minimum specs posted plz...

Maybe she'll work on my old laptop.. that i have..

SuperSonic4
October 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Been using it on cooker for a few weeks and changed my sources about five minutes ago.

It is very sleek and looks lovely, works amazingly but then my pc is high end. Best implementation of KDE I've seen especially since I changed the taskbar to give me multiple rows like in KDE3.x

Antman
October 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'll be downloading the DVD tonight. Hopefully I can install it tomorrow sometime.

AdamWill
October 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
legend: we've got someone in the official forums running it on a P166 :).

The most important things for old systems are RAM and disk space. You really need 128MB of RAM and at least a couple of gigs of disk space (preferably more than 4, but you can squeeze it into 2) to get a workable Mandriva install.

If you're low on RAM I'd recommend you go with LXDE as your desktop, and kill the Mandriva applets if you can live without them (between them, net_applet , mdkapplet and draksnapshot_applet take about 70MB of RAM).

namegame
October 11th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I was never a fan of Mandrake/Mandriva. Everything worked out of the box for me, but it just seemed sluggish to me. I might give this one a try, because things could have changed.

Antman
October 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I was never a fan of Mandrake/Mandriva. Everything worked out of the box for me, but it just seemed sluggish to me. I might give this one a try, because things could have changed.
So far I am impressed with 2009.0 Gnome version. I installed it on my main laptop (2gig ram) and it flys.
I currently have 2008.1 on my test laptop, so I will replace it with 2009.0 and see how it does with just 1gig of ram. But so far boot up is faster than 2008.1 and suspend to ram is faster (it wakes up MUCH faster).
I still have to test it with my PSC printer/scanner and webcam and see how it works with that.

Oh, I'm using the PWP version since my subscription is still valid.

AdamWill
October 11th, 2008, 11:45 PM
antman: I love the idea of 'just' 1GB of RAM =)

We test MDV on netbooks which often only have 512MB, so you should be fine. My HTPC only has 512MB, I've never needed to add any more. I use my main system very heavily, with lots of apps open and days between boots - I have 1.5GB of memory in it, but I've never caught it using over 1GB (max I've seen was about 900MB, when Firefox and Evolution were both leaking memory like crazy). So you should be fine with 1GB.

namegame
October 12th, 2008, 03:08 AM
So far I am impressed with 2009.0 Gnome version. I installed it on my main laptop (2gig ram) and it flys.
I currently have 2008.1 on my test laptop, so I will replace it with 2009.0 and see how it does with just 1gig of ram. But so far boot up is faster than 2008.1 and suspend to ram is faster (it wakes up MUCH faster).
I still have to test it with my PSC printer/scanner and webcam and see how it works with that.

Oh, I'm using the PWP version since my subscription is still valid.

That sounds good, I just downloaded the 2009 KDE version. I'll give it a try on my desktop.

SuperSonic4
October 12th, 2008, 03:10 AM
It's a very good distro IMO. It is the only one to recognise my wireless card out of the box so kudos for that (I still use eth0 though)

I don't think much of amarok 2 and OOo 3 is good

animepunkw
October 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I ran the Live Cd on my HP Pavilion which has the intel wireless link 5100 . Worked right off the live cd with no problems! no dropped connection. just right clicked the network icon and I was good to go. I am going to spend more time with it shortly. for now I need a little wow. I tweaking...

BigSilly
October 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Looking to install this as soon as it appears on the Linux Format cover disc. The 2008 releases have been absolutely fantastic, so it will be with a heavy heart and no small amount of trepidation that I remove my Spring install.

I hear people complaining about Amarok 2. What exactly is the problem with it? I've not had chance to try it for myself, but I use Amarok regularly on both my Ubuntu and Mandriva installs. Is it a step back? Will I lose functionality?

K.Mandla
October 12th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Moved to Mandriva subforum. I might have to check this out too. I need to spend a little more time with KDE. ... ;)

SuperSonic4
October 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I hear people complaining about Amarok 2. What exactly is the problem with it? I've not had chance to try it for myself, but I use Amarok regularly on both my Ubuntu and Mandriva installs. Is it a step back? Will I lose functionality?

You shouldn't lose functionality but I do think it's a step backwards. It is a lot like the KDE4 desktop, whereby you add widgets to the centre will collections on the left and the songs to play on the right. I think it is too flashy at the cost of information. Amarok 1.4.10 is in main backports though

Vulpus
October 13th, 2008, 09:00 AM
AmaroK 2 is a HUGE step backwards! It is a long way from being stable. I have been trying to use it for a few months but finally given up on it and gone back to 1.4. The final straw for me was that the latest version doesn't play music! I have tried it on two different machines and everything worked fine except actually playing music. That is what I call loss of functionality!