PDA

View Full Version : gpl license question

monkeyking
October 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
If I release my own program with source as gpl.

Will I be able to change future versions to non gpl?

I couldn't find any answers to this question.

thanks in advance

Tomosaur
October 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM

thanks in advance

If your project contains or is linked to GPLd code / libraries that you didn't write, then no.

If your project is built entirely from scratch, or uses code / libraries which are under some other licence which allows you to do so, then yes.

Basically speaking you can change your licence any time you feel like provided you're not depending on code which falls under the GPL.

pmasiar
October 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yes, you can change license terms of your own code anytime, or even use multiple licenses.

Zugzwang
October 9th, 2008, 03:41 PM

You can always dual-licence your work, for example like it is done in MySQL or QT. This means that apart from the GPL licence, you can also distribute your stuff under a different licence.

However, if someone has contributed to the project, you must either ask him/her for permission or remove that part from the project when switching/adding licences. Also you cannot withdraw your project once you released it under the GPL, i.e. you cannot prevent anyone else from distributing it or modifying it afterwards.

monkeyking
October 9th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Ok, so what you are saying is.

If I release a version 0.5 as gpl.

Then I can make 0.6 non-gpl, or whatever license I want.
and I don't have to give out the source code in this release?

thanks

maximinus_uk
October 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Correct.

However, I think that GPL is often the answer, not the question :)

rnodal
October 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Ok, so what you are saying is.

If I release a version 0.5 as gpl.

Then I can make 0.6 non-gpl, or whatever license I want.
and I don't have to give out the source code in this release?

thanks

I am not an expert on this but as long as your code uses GPL licensed code then it must also be released under GPL. Sometimes GPL is not really the way to go.

-r

nvteighen
October 9th, 2008, 08:47 PM
It's rather simple: if it's your code, you can do whatever you want with it.

But, if you use code from others, you have to respect their licensing terms. And GPL obliges you to make your code GPL.

The problem is that what constitutes "usage of others' code" depends on each country's legislation.

forger
October 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Ah just give the source, the worst thing that can happen is you being advertised on child projects heh