PDA

View Full Version : which 1TB external hard drive you suggest?

legolas_w
October 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi
Thank you for reading my post
I want to buy a 1TB external hard drive but I do not know which model to select. If anyone has some experience with this type of products please let me know.

billgoldberg
October 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hi
Thank you for reading my post
I want to buy a 1TB external hard drive but I do not know which model to select. If anyone has some experience with this type of products please let me know.

Really all external hard drives from the major players (WD, Lacie, ...) are pretty good.

MunkyJunky
October 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I have an Acer Aspire easystore which is pretty good, comes in 1Tb, 2Tb and 4Tb versions. However, its NAS (i.e., connects in through the network, not USB). It's handy for sharing storage between multiple computers.

Then again, if your ONLY going to be using Linux, DON'T get one! :) It seems adamant to only use the NTFS filesytem and can be a pain with Linux only.

That was a bit of backwards answer... :p

medic2000
October 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I highly recommend you the `Seagate Free Agent Pro 1TB` Its 32MB Cache 7200rpm and have USB,firewire and eSATA connections.(eSATA is the speed monster,you can buy a pci card for your desktop and pcmcia(be careful there is to types of pcmcia cards) card for your laptop to get a eSATA support if you havent)

And it rocks on Linux too!(though its NTFS not a problem and ntfs-3g is the king!):guitar:

And i will format it as Ext3. If you want the Windows systems to see the drive you can use the Ext2 IFS(ext3 support too) driver for Windows.

Trail
October 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I bought a regular internal SATA2 1TB HD and an external USB case. It turned out to be cheaper, better, and I still have the option to take the HD and use it internally on my new computer that I'll be in a few years.

Only thing you'd have to be careful with these huge drives is the heat I'd guess... If you can, buy a case with ventilation.

notwen
October 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
+1 Any Lacie drive. All 4 of my external drives have been Lacie for the past 5 years and surprisingly all are still working just as well as they did the day I purchased them. =]

legolas_w
October 10th, 2008, 08:54 PM
+1 Any Lacie drive. All 4 of my external drives have been Lacie for the past 5 years and surprisingly all are still working just as well as they did the day I purchased them. =]

Hi
Does Lacie external hard drive need external power suppply source or can live with esata, usb or firewire?

Thanks

jespdj
October 10th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I've been looking at this Freecom 1000 GB drive (http://www.freecom.nl/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3754&CatID=8020&sCatID=1146164&ssCatID=1146552). I don't know if that's a brand that's available where you live. I already have the 400 GB version of this drive, and the case is very solid and has a nice design, and it works great.

bp1509
October 10th, 2008, 09:16 PM
d

swimb
October 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
My 2.5" external doesnt use a power supply, but I think all the 3.5" externals use one.

mips
October 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
My 2.5" external doesnt use a power supply, but I think all the 3.5" externals use one.

Correct. All 3.5" drives will require external power.

notwen
October 13th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Hi
Does Lacie external hard drive need external power suppply source or can live with esata, usb or firewire?

Thanks

As others have said, you'll only likely find 2.5in drives that won't require additional power. And as far as I know, that limits you to around 250gb ext hdds.

wessel_k
October 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I've bought the disk you're looking at. Very nice and quiet disk. But I encountered a minor issue, that probably has something to do with my installation of ubuntu. I'm not yet able to mount it, which is strange since I can mount another firewire disk. I just noticed that you want to buy the USB version. I've got the firewire one. But please have a look at my problem (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=946269).

But I'm convinced the disk is a 'bargain'.

Regards,

Wessel