PDA

View Full Version : Downloading many web pages

sadda
October 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I would like to ask you for help. I would like to download thousands of web pages from www.sonin.mn or any English web page (either the page source or better only the text, pictures and formatting are not important). These pages may be randomly chosen, but I would like to download as much as possible. One friend advised me something with wget -r, but I don't know how to do it. Do you have any advice?

Thanks for any help

Zugzwang
October 9th, 2008, 01:02 PM
One friend advised me something with wget -r, but I don't know how to do it. Do you have any advice?

Yepp, read the manual of wget. Type "man wget" on the terminal.

Apart from that, not every web-master likes such exhaustive downloading from his/her site.

leg
October 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Wget is a great tool but it wont work on all sites. For instance I have two sites where I use htaccess to deny access from the wget browser. There are probably ways around this but if I were you I would respect the site owners wishes on this.

Sinkingships7
October 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
You could use httrack. It does a very good job of copying every file from a specific domain.

You can install it with

sudo aptitude install httrack

Run it in the terminal with the command
httrack The directions that are provided when you run it are pretty self explanatory. For the things you don't understand, accept the default.

sadda
October 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone, there were some problems with proxy when using wget, but httrack worked well.